Black Marks on Honey Gourami

sg.moreno

I'm not sure what these marks are, but I wanted to get external, more experienced insight on it before I jump to conclusions on what it is and what to do. The marks began on the lower fin, but I though it was just a coloration. Only recently have I noticed that it spread to Jello's face. This has all happened over the last two months of which I've had him/her. 

The tank is a 20 gallon high recently set up this past January; over the last month, the parameters have been consistently 0ppm for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates (I have a lot of plants), a temperature of 75 to 78 degrees F, pH of 7.4 to 7.6, and no reading on kH/hardness (I have yet to buy the test kit). My water was initially filled off well water which is relatively hard and basic and water changes have been with primo bottled water since. 

Tank mates include a second honey gourami, endler guppies, three albino aeneus corydoras, a bee shrimp, and two ghost shrimp. None of the other fish have/are exhibiting these marks. 

spacer.png

I know the tank is foggy with specs; the bubbles are from too much fertilizer which I am water changing out, and cleaning day is tomorrow. The filter jets above the waterline to create surface agitation, which adds to the bubbles. However, any other information on any other causes is greatly appreciated. :)

Are these marks anything to worry about? If so, what should I do? Thank you in advance for any advice!

The black on the honey gourami is the males coloration. Mine look just like that. I think it means he is ready to breed, but mine have never bread even with the marks. So I think it just means he is a male. I know the marks get darker when breeding. 

Edited by FriendlyLoach
  • Like 3

It will get more black on it as it sexual matures

2 hours ago, FriendlyLoach said:

The black on the honey gourami is the males coloration. Mine look just like that. I think it means he is ready to breed, but mine have never bread even with the marks. So I think it just means he is a male. I know the marks get darker when breeding. 

• Like 2