Gestaltgal

This berried shrimp looks like a zombie! She's swimming just fine, eating just fine, and seems to be molting? Will she lose the eggs? Will she survive? Is there anything I can do?

Tank parameters:

7.4 pH

0 ppm Ammonia

0 ppm Nitrites

0 ppm Nitrates

14 GH (drops from API test kit)

20 KH (drops from API test kit)PXL_20210401_140523096_2.jpg.4338cd8e96b0d135197726e3889b3d97.jpg

I think it might be vorticella, which I'm not had any experience with myself but appears like white fuzz like in your pic. How far along are the eggs? If near, and the rest of her behavior really is normal, then maybe just wait it out and then give her a salt bath afterwards and remove her molt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oakenstein said:

I think it might be vorticella, which I'm not had any experience with myself but appears like white fuzz like in your pic. How far along are the eggs? If near, and the rest of her behavior really is normal, then maybe just wait it out and then give her a salt bath afterwards and remove her molt. 

That would be a relief. I can deal with parasites. Thank you! We have isolated her and lovingly named her "Zombie Queen". We'll be watching her for the next 5 days (she's due in 5-10ish days). If she stops functioning well, we'll dose her. I'm okay losing the eggs and saving the shrimp. She'll get berried again, after all.

Just as an update, all shrimp have been bathed and look 100% better. We caught a couple that had some fuzz on their head, so we just salt bathed every shrimp we could get our net on. We're watching our tank cleaning (gravel vaccing every other day and watching the water column) for a while. I'm grateful for the help!

Special update on the pictured shrimp which we named Zombie Queen: her eggs hatched very quickly after she was isolated; we bathed her and isolated her in a hang on tank container. She looked SIGNIFICANTLY better, and she molted the next day, looking squeaky clean. Now she zooms around the tank care free. About a quarter of her brood made it through the salt bath (the macro lens revealed some HEAVY DUTY PARASITES), so we're glad so many made it through!!

THANK YOU!

• Like 2