Samantha's saltwater journey

It seems saltwater and freshwater people have differently wired brains, I've never met a salt and fresh water master keeper, the skill always lean one way or the other.

I could never see myself trying a saltwater tank even though I've done brackish. I've just grown up with freshwater since a child and that's what I know. I wouldn't want to kill those animals trying to figure it all out.

Edited by Daedalus

I've mainly done freshwater to I've been doing tons of research before I actually did anything  I actually have a pretty good 6.5 gallon freshwater going on the table now ich took a lot of them from me there are hiccups but that's why I joined forums to make sure those hiccups aren't deadly if I'm ever is doubt I ask

• 2 weeks later...

Haha it sounds like he definitely knows how to get the food he wants! He is a really cool and interesting looking fish, thank you for sharing! I will be starting a reef tank this year so I will keep an eye on your journal

• Like 1

He is awesome very curious too and I'm kinda glad he is picky so he's getting what he needs I wanted to post pictures of my snowflake eel to but he prefers the rocks and he'd just ate so he was hiding don't recommend getting a trigger(especially a picasso like mine) for a reef tank though the mermaids fan (the last plant in the pictures) is getting the brunt of of the picasso they need to chew to keep their beak trimmed and need some algea(the lfs fed lrs premium seaweed sometimes but he prefers the actual plants) not to mention agressive behavior and size(about 10 inches long as an adult) I'm planning 1 or 2 more fish and a 180 gallon 6 ft long if the contractor says the house can hold it otherwise just these 2 and a 125 6 foot long

• Like 1

Is the aquarium on the 2nd floor of the house or on a raised wood floor? And yes, you have some very large fish in there. I would love to see a picture of the snowflake eel! For my aquarium, it will just be a small reef with a clownfish and some type of goby most likely. I kept a 10 gallon reef for some time about 8-9 years ago but have only kept freshwater planted aquariums since. 

Given that most aquariums here on the forum are freshwater, I thought maybe I could share this video with you that I took at the Monterey Bay Aquarium in California. It is of one of their reef tanks that inspired me to get back into saltwater aquariums. I thought maybe you could appreciate it too. 

FBB97E71-A196-4FC2-ACA1-C14FCBAA12A0.gif.b1f8aba55b9d25e238d122e97976ace1.gif

• Like 1
  • Love 1

That's awesome eventually this tank(plus upgrades the current tank will be a hospital tank for both of them when they get big if need be) will be a reef something like that I hope but I loved the snowflake and trigger and wanted their tank 1st and knew the limitations and yes we have a basement and the tank in on the main floor which comes the issues of how large can it be from everything I read 125 is usually the top number on a tank on anything but the true ground floor without stress/risk (not including the sump either witch I want it would make water perimeters easier I think but I also refuse to put the tank in the basement) mine is in the kitchen and again from what I read is one of the sturdiest places and looking at the beam structure in the basement is ok for the upgrade but I don't trust myself to decide especially with kids many have kept triggers in 120s but with a light tank stock and I would be happy with even just these 2 I want them both to have the best though but can't do anything over a 180 finance wise or I'd go even bigger

@Samanthabea I think if you want to be sure, I would hire an engineer to come take a look at your framing to let you know what size aquarium would be allowable for your current framing conditions. 

A goby themed aquarium sounds really cool! What kind of gobies would you stock in a goby themed aquarium? 

12 hours ago, Samanthabea said:

That's awesome eventually this tank(plus upgrades the current tank will be a hospital tank for both of them when they get big if need be) will be a reef something like that I hope but I loved the snowflake and trigger and wanted their tank 1st and knew the limitations and yes we have a basement and the tank in on the main floor which comes the issues of how large can it be from everything I read 125 is usually the top number on a tank on anything but the true ground floor without stress/risk (not including the sump either witch I want it would make water perimeters easier I think but I also refuse to put the tank in the basement) mine is in the kitchen and again from what I read is one of the sturdiest places and looking at the beam structure in the basement is ok for the upgrade but I don't trust myself to decide especially with kids many have kept triggers in 120s but with a light tank stock and I would be happy with even just these 2 I want them both to have the best though but can't do anything over a 180 finance wise or I'd go even bigger

If you have a basement below where the tank will be placed, you likely can add reinforcing with lumber and screw jacks to support the weight of a larger tank. Make sure that whoever installs this support knows exactly what they are doing though.

• Like 1

Hi @Samanthabea, the purple firefish is a great fish! I have kept a red firefish and a purple firefish before, their color is very pretty but they always seemed a little skittish to me. I also love how they dart around when they swim. 

Also, yes you can reinforce your floor framing for additional strength as mentioned but I would still recommend having an engineer take a look. At the firm I work at, we do forensic engineering and we often see additional work done by licensed contractors that end up causing problems unfortunately. When additional load is added to existing floor framing, the appropriate design calculations and load path must be followed to make sure the work being done is adequate and/ or the existing conditions are adequate. Just throwing that out there because safety is of the upmost importance.

• 2 weeks later...