Samantha's saltwater journey

That seems like quite the filtration you got there

I'm surprised its the kids playing with the boxes and not the cat🤣

Very exciting! But also probably very expensive when your first getting into saltwater. 

I was once going to get a saltwater aquarium but after calculating the prices and it = more then $500 CAD (keep in mind I was planing on doing everything the cheapest possible way) I decided to setup two more freshwater tanks instead with the space that the SW tank was going to go.

Saltwater is really pretty, and I would love to set one up one day, when I can afford it. 

I'm tagging @quirkylemon103 they seem to take an interest in saltwater and am sure will enjoy your project!

Good Luck! Hope everything goes as planned!

Will you be adding Corals eventually? Or will you just stick with a FOWLR tank (fish only with live rock)??

Edited by JamesB
  • Like 1

Soft corals still debating on an eel or goby tank I love gobies but I saw the eels and fell in love with them to I know gobies would be easier but I'm still toying with the idea of the eels I think ive spent somewhere near 1000(probly over) I have the freshwater survivors of ich from this tank in a smaller setup now 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ererer said:

@Samanthabea yay, glad to see you're starting a thread for your tank. Following along.

Also, have you ever seen a garden eel tank? Pretty cute!

garden eels are very cute but they are also very difficult. they need live copepods and the copepods need to go above there cave, burrow, hole(whatever you want to call it) or else they won't eat it

12 hours ago, JamesB said:

That seems like quite the filtration you got there

I'm surprised its the kids playing with the boxes and not the cat🤣

Very exciting! But also probably very expensive when your first getting into saltwater. 

I was once going to get a saltwater aquarium but after calculating the prices and it = more then $500 CAD (keep in mind I was planing on doing everything the cheapest possible way) I decided to setup two more freshwater tanks instead with the space that the SW tank was going to go.

Saltwater is really pretty, and I would love to set one up one day, when I can afford it. 

I'm tagging @quirkylemon103 they seem to take an interest in saltwater and am sure will enjoy your project!

Good Luck! Hope everything goes as planned!

Will you be adding Corals eventually? Or will you just stick with a FOWLR tank (fish only with live rock)??

Yeah I'm kind of obsessed with saltwater 

12 hours ago, Samanthabea said:

Day one the big tank fill 55 gallons is a lot finally got all the equipment now just add water me my husband and kitty are ready to go(very slowly in all aspects) the kids just like to play with the boxes for right now

16172458363353841110922420897749.jpg

16172459633628401332184420921548.jpg

are you using the canister filters? I don't remember why but a lot of people recommend against using them. but I have also seen some very nice tanks with canister filters. So I would do some research on why some people recommend against them

Also cute cat 

Edited by quirkylemon103

Haven't seen the garden eel tanks and canisters are high maintenance for saltwater that's why I didn't return the aquaeon so I had a backup for the fluval and the needs a eels are one of the thing I'm looking at hard especially feedings are messy and I don't have an option for a sump the tank can't be drilled and rigging one up is a space factor

Edited by Samanthabea
Just saw I accidentally switched words around
  • Like 1

I find my fw tanks much harder than my reef.  Sw tanks can be run cheaply, if stocked correctly.  I don't know if links are allowed, but there is an aquarist called wvreefer on nano-reef who runs a tanks with nothing but in-tank circulation. She also is a fw keeper.

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/380786-wv-reefers-12-gallon-long-and-dirty/?tab=comments#comment-5474339

• Like 1