Well Water tested High for Nitrates

MAC

Straight to the point: I'm just about to move into a new place that is on a well, we signed for it already and have the keys. Today I moved the first load of crap to the place and brought back some water to give the ol water parameters check (API liquid test kits) because I figured the gh and kh would be significantly higher than my super soft municipal tap. Well, it is. But I'm also showing a slight greening in the ammonia and the Nitrate is wayyy to high. I can never tell the difference between 40 and 80ppm, but I'm pretty certain that's not good for drinking let alone fish keeping.

PXL_20210331_225810376_MP.jpg.2cbd53953dfb986150350bb7cf3ad9b1.jpg

So here's my concern, I gotta move, it's already happening. Best I can do is get a water sample to the lab in the morning with results likely not coming back until Monday. From what I found 10mg/l or ppm is considered safe for drinking. My question; is what my test kit showing accurate enough to ensure that when I start the conversation with the new landlord about this issue the lab results are going to be similar? 

I'd hate to raise this big stink only to have my water come back at 8ppm or something. Im kicking myself for not testing the water before signing but with the rental and housing market in my area we felt like we had to pounce or miss out. I'm afraid this is going to become quite the headache. 

Edited by MAC
Changed up title

You could mention that you took an "over the counter" nitrate test that was high and that you will get the lab results Monday. I am not sure how accurate the Nitrate test actually is however I would say that it should be accurate enough to be within 10 ppm range unless there is something in the well water giving a false reading on the test. 

I don't have any advice in terms of the drinking water, but if you plan on keeping fish I would just recommend a heavy plant load with a lighter stocking load, I wouldn't think your nitrates will cause much issue if you set up your tank correctly. I suppose that also depends on what your keeping, some fish are much more sensitive to nitrates then others. 

My water quality report from 2019 states that the maximum compliance level for Nitrates is 10 ppm as well, I am not sure what the health impacts are to you above that however. I am not sure how quickly well water Nitrates fluctuates, but I know there can be increases in Nitrates after large rain storms causing fertilizer runoff so I am not sure the well will always test that high or maybe after a storm. I don't know much about well water. 

• Thanks 1

Sounds discouraging. Sorry to hear. For drinking water purity, you’ll need to lean on the laboratory and standards in your region. For aquatic life... test again... and again... be sure! If this the case, all I can suggest is trying out a TON of live plants for awhile until they get a hold, and measure how fast they filter down nitrates. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the initial replies @GardenStateGoldfish and @Fish Folk

The high nitrates for the fish are definitely something I can work around. Making some minor stocking adjustments and more plants is easy enough. 

Mostly I'm going back and forth on slamming the brakes on this move over the readings of a API test kit. The plan was to be out of the current place by Saturday but water results don't get back until Monday. We are not moving if the water is going to be an issue. Greater than 10ppm nitrate is not considered healthy from what I've found online. 

But I think gardenstategoldfish is right, if the test kit was off it probably wouldn't be off more than 10ppm or so. The readings for all 20+ of my tanks have been within a range that had made sense depending on setup. 

Maybe the big take away from this is get a well (professionally) tested BEFORE you decide to move in.

Need some EasyWell Test Strips. 

• Like 1

Is it possible that some of the well filtration equipment needs maintenance? If so, that should be on the landlord to do. If the drinking water doesn't meet health dept standards, it should also be on them to install a RO unit or something similar perhaps? Could call a local renters hotline and ask their advice.

Edited by ererer
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2021 at 8:31 PM, tolstoy21 said:

The EPA measure is for NO3-N which is a different measure than what aquarium test kits use. The conversion from 10mg/L NO3-N comes to around 40 ppm NO3 according to an API kit if I remember correctly. 

https://support.hach.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1000316/~/what-is-the-factor-to-convert-from-no3-n-and-no3%3F-

I think this might answer your question. I had the same concerns with my water report saying 10 mg/l but my test kits reading out as 40.

Heres the thread that details a little bit about some other options like using a nitrate resin.

But on the bright side, if you have a planted tank thats one less nutrient to deal with!

• Thanks 1

@Koi that is really interesting. Thanks. I've been away and didn't even see that thread. 

My understanding was nitrate ppm was nitrate ppm and that was that. But I was also thrown off that in order to test well water the lab wanted $40 and I have a simple dropper from API that can do the trick. So it would make sense there was more going on. 

As for high Aquarium nitrates, I can deal many ways with that. 

I appreciate the insight. 

11 hours ago, MAC said:

Need some EasyWell Test Strips. 

There are actually test strips you can buy for testing drinking water, it tests all kinds of stuff, chlorine, iron all that stuff. We got some to test at my work because we had to have a new well drilled and have to test. 

Amazon.com: 16 in 1 Drinking Water Test Kit | Water Test Strips for Aquarium, Pool, Spa, Well & Tap Water | High Sensitivity Test Strips detect pH, Hardness, Chlorine, Lead, Iron, Copper, Nitrate, Nitrite: Garden & Outdoor

• Thanks 1