Does anyone know what this is?

gcalberto

So one of my angels started developing some white masses on its head. I've been told it could be hole in the head disease, but this tank is way overfiltered (got about 20x the tank volume going through my filters) and I do 70% weekly water changes. 

Is it really hole in the head disease, or is it something else? 

Temp is 84°F, ammonia and nitrites are 0, ph is 6,5

Edit: I have no idea why are theast 2 photos upside down 😅

20210331_171600.jpg

20210331_154447.jpg

20210331_154433.jpg

20210331_154425.jpg

Edited by gcalberto

Some would call that hole in the head disease. I have never been a big believer in HITH, but your fish is making a case for it.

This was said to be HITH.

image.png.0603dff7be3343a246775b3b3e1fe53f.png

One of the most common cures suggested is better water quality. But I don't know....

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Some would call that hole in the head disease. I have never been a big believer in HITH, but your fish is making a case for it.

This was said to be HITH.

image.png.0603dff7be3343a246775b3b3e1fe53f.png

One of the most common cures suggested is better water quality. But I don't know....

How could I get better water quality if I already do large weekly water changes and I have no issues whatsoever with ammonia and nitrites? 

Should I do 70% water changes twice a week??? 

Or maybe it has a different cause in my case? I'm honestly at a loss here 

21 hours ago, Colu said:

Looks like hole in the head    i read they is a link between active carbon and hole in HITH keep stable water parameters and recommended treatment is praziquantel and metronidazole which are active ingredients in paracleanse and general cure 

Pretty much everywhere I look says hole in the head is caused by poor water conditions. Is there any other causes or is 70% weekly water changes not enough in my case? I also have an oversized canister leftover from another build that has turnover of 20x the tank volume per hour 

Also I started treating with metronidazole and prazipro (I don't have either paracleanse or general cure in my country). 

I'm also planning on doing a 70% water change every other day or every 3 days for the next couple of weeks, just in case. Is that going to help? 

Edited by gcalberto

It can be caused by poor water conditions I read about link between active carbon hole the head try and  keep stress to a minimum I think you are doing to larger water change that can cause pH swing stressing your fish I would do two 25% water change a week

• Thanks 1

Just now, Colu said:

It can be caused by poor water conditions I read about link between active carbon hole the head try and  keep stress to a minimum I think you are doing to larger water change that can cause pH swing stressing your fish I would do two 25% water change a week

Ph in my tapwater is pretty much the same as in my tank. 

Same goes for temperature. Since I live in a tropical county, my tapwater is in the 70s 90% of the time. 

I'm also in the habit of doing bigger water changes in tanks where I want fish to grow faster, and I haven't used activated carbon in years 

Just now, Colu said:

There's not much I can suggest may take two or three courses of treatment to  cure your fish 

Do you know what might have cause the disease itself? 

I'm a lot more bothered by not knowing how a fish kept the way this was got HITH, than the disease itself 

I am almost certain that it is stress induced by water changes. Also large water changes like that can cause the bacteria colonies to crash if there is not enough waste to "feed" on. There are many factors to consider that could cause this.

The other thing of note here is water turnover has a law of diminishing returns to it. At a certain point filter volume and surface area become far more important and turning over water doesn't do anything to further improve conditions for your fish.