Questions about co op phone number and is my tank overstocked

Stephen Zawacki

Hi guys I know I have came on to here and have asked that same question multiple times, but I never get a definitive answer I am in college so my tank size is maxed out for Two years max of 3 and it is a 40 breeder. I have a pair of discus and 3 panda garas. Is the tank overstocked and can the discus get to full size in there then after college I get a 125. Also does aquarium co op have a phone number ? Thankyou for any information. New light is coming.

20210329_204534.jpg

20210329_204619.jpg

20210324_163058.jpg

Edited by Stephen Zawacki

The size your discus will achieve is more dependent on what you feed and water quality much more so than the size of the aquarium. If you feed a high quality, varied diet and do frequent water changes your discus will get to be full sized.

What is your current feeding menu? How would you describe your water quality?

Aquarium Co-Op does not have a phone number.

I feed frozen blood worms, along with beef heart flakes, xtreme krill flakes, and frozen beef heart cubes the day before my water changes. I test my water every two weeks with a master kit and have perfect in every category.  My last question is will they be fine for three years max in this before I can upgrade it will most likely be two years.

Yes, if your water remains high quality and the the discus are well fed during this time your discus will be fine. I had discus while I was in college living in married student housing. I had gotten the discus from Jack Wattley when they were nickel sized. I fed them live foods and changed their water frequently (they were in a standard 55 gallon). They responded by breeding and raising fry to sellable size on a regular schedule. It did however take me 6 years to get through college.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stephen Zawacki said:

Ok thank you very much for answering. I am a pretty new discus dad so I want to make sure I’m giving them the best life I can for now till I get out of college. 

With discus, 3 things are important:

• 85 - 86°F water
  • Always keep the water high quality, one way is regular water changes
  • A varied diet, like you are feeding. The 2 favorites foods for my discus are mosquito larva and live blackworms, not essential but nice if you can give them a treat like that.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stephen Zawacki said:

Ok awesome my discus right now are at 82 so I will raise the temp. I have another question I have a ehime heater and I can’t figure it out I have it set at 89 degrees and it will get to 82 degrees am I doing something wrong?

You might want to check the manual that came with it. Some heaters will only push the water temp to room temp + 10F. If I recall, the Fluval E and M series share this feature. I'm assuming this is to prevent creating a massive power draw or cooking fish due to careless use.

Edited by Schwack
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stephen Zawacki said:

Ok awesome my discus right now are at 82 so I will raise the temp. I have another question I have a ehime heater and I can’t figure it out I have it set at 89 degrees and it will get to 82 degrees am I doing something wrong?

I don't know. I don't have an Eheim but most people who own them say they are one of the best heaters available. I think the Eheim's have a built in calibration function, which if yours does is a nice feature as most heaters are couple of degrees off.

@Its Hutch had a little trouble with his at first, but once he got everything sorted out, it worked fine:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stephen Zawacki said:

What size is the heater? In a 40 gallon tank (~150 liters), the bare minimum size heater (according to Eheim) would be 150W. As @Schwacksaid though, heaters are generally rated based on their ability to raise water temperature ~10 degrees above ambient. If you need to raise the temperature of the water more than that 10 degrees, i.e. your room is cooler than about 75F, then you will need more heater wattage. The safest way is to add a second heater of the same or slightly smaller size, so if one of them fails on, then you have more margin for recovery during the failure.

Edited by DShelton
additional detail

Yep, as @Daniel said, I have eheim heaters and I always have to set them higher than the temp I want them to be. They seem very reliable and consistent, but you have to do some trial and error to find the setting that will give you the temp you want. Just make a very small adjustment and then wait a few hours to see what happens.

Your discus look great!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stephen Zawacki said:

I have the 150 watt ehime 

It sounds like the heater is just not calibrated. If you have a known good thermometer, you can use it to adjust your heater.

Keep adjusting the heater upwards, i.e. turning the blue ring, in very small adjustments, until you get the water to the temperature you want, based upon the measurement from your "known good" thermometer. Once you get the water where you want, you can turn the red ring on the heater to match the temperature of the water/thermometer.

It has to be done slowly so you always know that the heater is at equilibrium with the water (i.e. it just maintaining the current temp, and not still heating and raising the temp), and your thermometer has to be of known good calibration, otherwise you are still guessing.

• Like 1