So I am gonna build a tank for my axolotl for when he’s an adult (around 6 months out) but I want to get a wild type axolotl for him to live with of the same sex could this be a problem and my second question is I could either move my discus into a 75 and use there 55 for the axolotls or just buy another 55 witch would you go with and why 

I have zero experience with the fish you are keeping and am fairly new to the hobby. That being said, I’m picking up tank #3 tomorrow.  😊 A 75. When shopping, all advice was to go 75 because I wouldn’t regret the extra room and it’s only 5” more front to back.  The length/height is the same. 

• Like 1

Axolotls need more floor space than water height.  A 40 breeder is great for two adult Axolotls.  Or a 75 if you would rather.  The front to back 12” depth of a 55 is not optimal when an 8 inch long animal decides to dart when startled like they will at times.

A shorter tank (as opposed to tall) makes it easier for feeding Axolotls their worms too—unless you want to get your hands in the water every time you feed them.

As for finding another of the same sex, you will have to buy one that is old enough.  I found three small ones on Craigslist and kept the two that were the same sex and rehomed the one male.  If you get on an Axolotl forum, you can find them easier when you are ready to look.

1 hour ago, Lifeisgood said:

Axolotls need more floor space than water height.  A 40 breeder is great for two adult Axolotls.  Or a 75 if you would rather.  The front to back 12” depth of a 55 is not optimal when an 8 inch long animal decides to dart when startled like they will at times.

What is the difference between a 40b and a 55 wouldn’t the 55 be bigger 

11 minutes ago, Angelfishlover said:

40 gallon breeder - 36 3⁄16 x 18 1⁄4 x 16 15⁄16

55 gallon - 48 1⁄4 x 12 3⁄4 x 21

The breeder tanks are generally not as tall, and have more depth. Between the two the breeder tank is about ~6" deeper and ~5" shorter.

10 minutes ago, Angelfishlover said:

A 40 breeder is 3 feet wide and 16” tall.  The important piece is that it is 18”deep.  There is more turnaround room for a large amphibian.

The 55 is four feet wide and it is 21” tall.  So yes it is bigger, but you have farther to reach to feed them their worms and 12” front to back does not give an 8-10” Axolotl as much room to blast off as they will from time to time, if they get excited or startled.  And depending on what objects you want to put in the tank with them, 12 inches gets clogged up pretty quick so they will have even less room to get through.

Does that make sense?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lifeisgood said:

A 40 breeder is 3 feet wide and 16” tall.  The important piece is that it is 18”deep.  There is more turnaround room for a large amphibian.

The 55 is four feet wide and it is 21” tall.  So yes it is bigger, but you have farther to reach to feed them their worms and 12” front to back does not give an 8-10” Axolotl as much room to blast off as they will from time to time, if they get excited or startled.  And depending on what objects you want to put in the tank with them, 12 inches gets clogged up pretty quick so they will have even less room to get through.

Does that make sense?

Yeah it does I may be able to squeeze 2 40b where I want to put the 55