Streetwise Homestead Aquariums

Streetwise

You bet, @akconklin! I got juveniles in early summer for the tubs, and it took them until September to mature. The first spawn was when they were all moved inside together, going from cold water outside, and slowly warming up to the inside tank.

I am just doing hardy fish and shrimp for my folks, no heater indoors, and outdoors.

They are in their 80s, so resilience is my favorite quality.

My Mom just feeds White Clouds, and I keep them between 52-72° F.

My Father waters probably 50 plants in the house, so he now has a spare juice container for room-temperature water to top off the tank.

Edited by Streetwise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Streetwise said:

You bet, @akconklin! I got juveniles in early summer for the tubs, and it took them until September to mature. The first spawn was when they were all moved inside together, going from cold water outside, and slowly warming up to the inside tank.

I am just doing hardy fish and shrimp for my folks, no heater indoors, and outdoors.

They are in their 80s, so resilience is my favorite quality.

My Mom just feeds White Clouds, and I keep them between 52-72° F.

My Father waters probably 50 plants in the house, so he now has a spare juice container for room-temperature water to top off the tank.

Ok, so I guess they've got some growing to do. That makes me rest easy then. I was afraid maybe the LFS had sold us feeder white clouds, as Cory mentioned in a video I saw recently. I'll be patient and keep feeding them. Our a/c is still running, so the water stays cool (74*) most of the time. I'll keep an eye on it if we run the heat this winter. Some years, we only run it a few hours a few days out of the year. We can always add cooler water if we need to. Thanks for that tidbit of info. I appreciate it. 👍

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On Thanksgiving, I removed all the Dwarf Water Lettuce, to give the other plants more light. I also thinned out my gravel cap, and added added a pair of furniture feet to try to level the tank, but I need another quarter of an inch on the left. I asked my Dad for a photo tonight to check the status.

A84D2A7A-9BAC-4A15-9F7C-91961C477071.jpeg.22736c3333029c64245b88da008fdf12.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I visited my folks today. I was focused on tech support and some health updates, but I took a few photos:

0FF779D4-2B0B-4311-8A94-929B13DDA989.jpeg.06688e6328b7e660de5e38b962b7949c.jpeg

09FCB863-C557-4F52-9C80-9A43D01E324E.jpeg.ad21f10129a9995f2107a5e193eee349.jpeg

I still need to do a water change for visibility reasons, add some more plants, increase the lighting, and bring some more shrimp for my mom. I’m not sure there is enough algae and biofilm for shrimp though. My mom also asked for more Xtreme flakes, since she reports that the White Clouds love them!

Bonus: Anubias flower!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Streetwise, for crypts, i like the lucens i recently got, and am also a fan of tropica and the various wendtii varieties. I have spiralis and retrospiralis in the back of my 40, and really like the way they look. I'm hoping they spread and give a little more to the background soon. 

For Anubias, I can't argue with the appeal of coffeefolia. I also like the nana petite on a small rock near the front. It makes a nice bushy appearance as it grows out. I am also a fan of the Golden, as it provides a nice contrast to darker driftwood. 

• Thanks 1