Vertical tank stand - placement of support

SteveMc

Hello All, I am putting together a new stand to hold three tanks vertically in my fishroom, two 20g longs and a 29 gallon on the bottom.  So the tanks are all 30" across and 12" deep.  I have seen Cory's video with the stands in the store only supporting the ends of each tank, front-to-back. I am considering doing this but seems a bit frightening.  I have also read a few articles saying all the weight is on the four corners so in theory I should be fine, but ...   Every tank stand I have previously built supports the entire bottom frame, sides and front/back.  Just wondering if others have built similar stands for tanks these sizes and just supported the sides, leaving the front and back edges open?

• Like 1

That's an interesting design! Thanks for sharing it. I too tend to overbuild things as well, this is my stand I built a couple years ago for my 180 gallon tank. Someone told me at the time it would likely hold my truck! 

20190109_190711.jpg

1 hour ago, SteveMc said:

That's an interesting design! Thanks for sharing it. I too tend to overbuild things as well, this is my stand I built a couple years ago for my 180 gallon tank. Someone told me at the time it would likely hold my truck! 

20190109_190711.jpg

If you can figure out how to get it underneath your truck...

My 75 sits on a similar stand. It is all 2x4s with a single center brace.  I know particleboard stands are supposed to be strong enough but I prefer to err on the side of caution.  This design also distributes the weight across the floor evenly.

Edited by Tanked