New here.. Algae growth questions

Hello, I'm new to the aquarium fish world and I recently (about a month ago) bought a 36 gallon bow front tank. I've been noticing algae growth happening at a fast rate and am wondering how I can slow down the growth, is there certain fish recommended to help with this or what should I do?

The artificial Reef is getting hit the hardest and is discoloring from the aglae.

I have 11 small fish currently in my tank from cory cat fish, to mixed hifin, platy and guppies. I am going to get a pleco to help with the algae on the glass, but the growth on the ornaments and gravel is building up quick. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Anthony

20210329_185538.jpg

20210329_185524.jpg

20210329_185517.jpg

Welcome to the hobby! There's a lot of different approaches to algae, so I'll just refer you to a handful to things to bear in mind. First off, algae is not a bad thing. It represents an aquarium with nutrients. Algae is going to grow no matter what you do to some extent. The more live plants you add to your aquarium, the more that they will consume nutrients and slow down (though not eliminate) algae build up. Bear in mind that algae is very healthy for fish, so really only a bother to you if you dislike how it appears.

In general, if you've got too much light, algae is going to grow. You might shorten the photo-period (length of time that your light is on) or mute the light somehow (we often use cupboard liners beneath LEDs to mute light).

Bristlenose -- or "bushy-nose" -- Plecos are excellent at eating certain types of algae from off your glass or hardscape. What we do with our tanks is scrape down the inside front pane of the tank glass with an old credit card when we perform a water change every 1-2 weeks. For most tanks, we allow algae to build up on the sides and back (for a few, we also scrape down the sides).

There are certain other fish that can work on your algae issues, but on the whole, I think you'll want to allow some of it, wash some of it, and get cleaner fish for some of it. There's a lot of different kinds of algae too.

Here's a few resources to study:

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Anthonyw said:

Hello, I'm new to the aquarium fish world and I recently (about a month ago) bought a 36 gallon bow front tank. I've been noticing algae growth happening at a fast rate and am wondering how I can slow down the growth, is there certain fish recommended to help with this or what should I do?

The artificial Reef is getting hit the hardest and is discoloring from the aglae.

I have 11 small fish currently in my tank from cory cat fish, to mixed hifin, platy and guppies. I am going to get a pleco to help with the algae on the glass, but the growth on the ornaments and gravel is building up quick. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Anthony

20210329_185538.jpg

20210329_185524.jpg

20210329_185517.jpg

I think a nerite snail might work well for you. They are great for algae.

Have you tried live plants yet in any of your aquariums? I would say they would be the best counter to any algae. As long as plants are outcompeting the algae for resources, the algae will not come back.

Also, what kind of pleco are you thinking of getting?

Edit: Very nicely put @Fish Folk! That's what I was going to start listing out, but looks like it's already covered!

Edited by CorydorasEthan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fish Folk said:

Welcome to the hobby! There's a lot of different approaches to algae, so I'll just refer you to a handful to things to bear in mind. First off, algae is not a bad thing. It represents an aquarium with nutrients. Algae is going to grow no matter what you do to some extent. The more live plants you add to your aquarium, the more that they will consume nutrients and slow down (though not eliminate) algae build up. Bear in mind that algae is very healthy for fish, so really only a bother to you if you dislike how it appears.

In general, if you've got too much light, algae is going to grow. You might shorten the photo-period (length of time that your light is on) or mute the light somehow (we often use cupboard liners beneath LEDs to mute light).

Bristlenose -- or "bushy-nose" -- Plecos are excellent at eating certain types of algae from off your glass or hardscape. What we do with our tanks is scrape down the inside front pane of the tank glass with an old credit card when we perform a water change every 1-2 weeks. For most tanks, we allow algae to build up on the sides and back (for a few, we also scrape down the sides).

There are certain other fish that can work on your algae issues, but on the whole, I think you'll want to allow some of it, wash some of it, and get cleaner fish for some of it. There's a lot of different kinds of algae too.

Here's a few resources to study:

Wow, thanks for the informative response! After checking out those videos I'm going to purchase a mix of algae eaters, live plants and see how it goes. I'm enjoying the aquarium experience so far and look forward to learning more. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CorydorasEthan said:

I think a nerite snail might work well for you. They are great for algae.

Have you tried live plants yet in any of your aquariums? I would say they would be the best counter to any algae. As long as plants are outcompeting the algae for resources, the algae will not come back.

Also, what kind of pleco are you thinking of getting?

Edit: Very nicely put @Fish Folk! That's what I was going to start listing out, but looks like it's already covered!

Definitely gonna tackle this with fish and live plants

After watching the videos I'm thinking of looking for a hillstream loach. 

Do you recommend a certain online website to buy fish from?

I found liveaquaria.com, but it doesn't have all the fish I'm looking for.

5 minutes ago, Dwayne Brown said:

I would definitaly checkout the bristlenose pleco. I would also suggest a siamese algea eater and mystery snails

Thanks, gonna shop around for those now. Do you use an online website to purchase fish from? Curious to know what people like using.

Edited by Anthonyw

4 minutes ago, Anthonyw said:

Definitely gonna tackle this with fish and live plants. 

After watching the videos I'm thinking of looking for a hillstream loach. 

Do you recommend a certain online website to buy fish from?

I found liveaquaria.com, but it doesn't have all the fish I'm looking for.

I myself have never bought fish online before, but there is a website known as Aqua Huna which Aquarium Co-Op recommends buying from online. Here is the link to their hillstream loaches. Unfortunately, at the moment they are sold out. 

https://aquahuna.com/collections/algae-eater/products/hillstream-loach?variant=15793271570475

Other creatures that eat flat algaes include bristlenose pleco, rubberlip pleco, otocinclus, borneo sucker loach, panda garra, and nerite snail.

Edited by CorydorasEthan

3 minutes ago, CorydorasEthan said:

I myself have never bought fish online before, but there is a website known as Aqua Huna which Aquarium Co-Op recommends buying from online. Here is the link to their hillstream loaches. Unfortunately, at the moment they are sold out. 

https://aquahuna.com/collections/algae-eater/products/hillstream-loach?variant=15793271570475

Other creatures that eat flat algaes include bristlenose pleco, rubberlip pleco, otocinclus, borneo sucker loach, panda garra, and nerite snail.

Thanks info and website. I might go with a bristlenose pleco instead. Appreciate this forum, it's nice to get help from so many people. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought mine from a local fish store but mine is a special variety of the britstlenose pleco called an l144a pleco. You can find regular ones at petco or petsmart. I bought my mystery snail at petco. I would also recomend you check out a rainbow goby. They eat mulm and algea. Just be sure to feed any algea eaters you get algea waffers they cant live on aquatium algea alone.    Heres my goby and pleco 16171400322891012172078160438234.jpg.c16739a6a7ae07998b10853f8e47ffa3.jpg

16171399814487844020956309187647.jpg.3a89fb024be5fd1b7e3f914273593835.jpg

44 minutes ago, Dwayne Brown said:

I bought mine from a local fish store but mine is a special variety of the britstlenose pleco called an l144a pleco. You can find regular ones at petco or petsmart. I bought my mystery snail at petco. I would also recomend you check out a rainbow goby. They eat mulm and algea. Just be sure to feed any algea eaters you get algea waffers they cant live on aquatium algea alone.    Heres my goby and pleco 16171400322891012172078160438234.jpg.c16739a6a7ae07998b10853f8e47ffa3.jpg

16171399814487844020956309187647.jpg.3a89fb024be5fd1b7e3f914273593835.jpg

Thanks for the advice, going call around and see what I can find. Love the pics btw.

I didn’t read all the replies so if I repeat I apologize in advance.

first it is a new tank.  Once tank is seasoned- say 7-9 months it will be easier and more stable.

plants.  Any plant will compete for the nutrients in the water.

animals that eat algae- nerite snails are amazing.  But different algae different animals.  Amano shrimp.  So many different fish eat algae (especially when a feeding a day is withheld) 

lighting.  Not only hours....   but type and color.   Or sunlight.  Being near window.  
Manually removing until you get the tank dialed in.  
Good Luck