Is your lfs or lps selling fish?

It seems that most fish stores/ petstores in Canada have been banned from selling any kind of fish or plants for the next while. I beleive it has something to do with the recent moss balls situation. My LFS I beleive is still selling fish but thats because they dont usually sell moss balls. The local petstore that I went to yesterday had signs up saying "not allowed to sell fish due to governments orders". Then recentley aquascape room canada posted on their instagram that they are not allowed to be shipping plants.

I was wondering if this has happened to any of you?

Not finding chatter easily online about this. Have you tried reaching out to such a store and inquiring? I know Canada tends to take a firm response to invasive species issues, so it would not surprise me if that's the case. Could it depend on the Province / Territory? 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

Not finding chatter easily online about this. Have you tried reaching out to such a store and inquiring? I know Canada tends to take a firm response to invasive species issues, so it would not surprise me if that's the case. Could it depend on the Province / Territory? 

It could... but from what I've seen/ heard its most provinces in Canada. 

Seems like it's just Canada. Ohio hasn't stopped selling fish at all. But that isn't surprising to me considering that Zebra Mussels are absolutely everywhere in the Great Lakes. Worrying about them coming in on moss balls would be like closing a gate after the horse has gotten out, except it was a whole herd of horses and they escaped through a massive opening in the fence instead of the gate. I'm not trying to dismiss the precautions that are being taken though, preventing the spread of them is incredibly important with how ridiculously invasive they are.

3 hours ago, tekjunkie28 said:

The US and Canada do not have anything to do with each other. In Canada they like to ban pretty much anything nice or useful it seems. 

we need a half laugh half sad emoji response for posts like this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1