Clown Pleco Quarantine

Matthew Grob

I have a clown pleco I'm planning on moving from his current 20 gallon to a 10 gallon for quarantine. There's 2 reasons why I'm moving him for quarantine. I plan on rescaping the 20 gallon aquarium completely in the next few months. And most importantly, the 20 gallon aquarium used to house a handful of guppies but sadly each guppy passed from an illness I couldn't identify nor treat. Over the course of my fighting battle with the guppy's mystery illness I had used (these treatments were not combined, used separately) Kanaplex, E.M. Erythromycin, and Fungus Cure. Nothing worked, one guppy passed at least once if not every 2 months. The clown pleco that lived with them never showed any signs of distress and continues to act normal. It's been at least 3-4 months since I lost the final guppy, since then the pleco has lived on it's own. I guess my question is when I move the clown pleco to his 10 gallon quarantine tank, what should I treat him with so I don't run the risk of reintroducing the disease again? I'll be sterilizing all of the salvageable materials from the 20 gallon, emptying it out for awhile in the meantime before I start it all over again. 

My question is if you put pleco in a separate tank and watch for in or outward signs of illness and they have none, why treat? Just a consideration,  little one has already had a kitchen sink full of treatment. 😁

I will say though, if you still want to I've had particular good luck with quarantining using Paraguard. Used it on some Otos which are particularly sensitive in the 1st 30 days (they had Ich) and they endured all.

I've thought about using Paraguard just as a general precautionary, I'm just paranoid about something lingering in the water at the same time. I've had my encounters with columnaris in the past and while I know this wasn't columnaris, I've seen how dangerous and deadly it can be first hand and don't want to risk introducing anything to any of my current fish or new future fish.