Plants sending out ugly roots above the substrate.

I have been seeing a lot of roots shooting out mid stem, from most of my stemmed plants.  Ugly white strands in tangled clumps ugh.  What causes this and how do I minimize?   I assume its due to nutrient deficiency in the substrate.   I thought to ask first, before I put more root tabs in.   TIA! 

From what I understand, that's natural and normal for stem plants and how they reproduce. If it bothers you, I'd recommend trimming the plants just below where the roots are emerging, then replant the top portion so the roots are in the substrate. If you already have root tabs in the substrate near your plants, I don't think it's necessary to add more at the moment.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kirsten said:

From what I understand, that's natural and normal for stem plants and how they reproduce. If it bothers you, I'd recommend trimming the plants just below where the roots are emerging, then replant the top portion so the roots are in the substrate. If you already have root tabs in the substrate near your plants, I don't think it's necessary to add more at the moment.

I second this notion that this is normal for stem plants. In all those pretty aquascaping photos you see online, I would be willing to bet the roots were neatly trimmed before photos were taken.  💜

• Like 4