BIG tank with small fish?

Sal

So I've moved almost all of my existing fish from the 55 to the 120, and... its so empty.  😂.  Not a bad problem to have, I realize.

The only fish I have left to move are the 4 angels, but I'm not sure 4 angels are going to add the activity level back to the tank.

I also think the fish are a little scared... which is partially because of the new house, and maybe also partially because it's so much more empty space??  It's been a few days, and they are starting to slowly warm up to their new surroundings, and they are eating fine.  I know it will take time for the plants to grow/fill in, but I also think after the angels are moved, I'd like to QT some new fish for the community.

As a refresher, we have currently:
4 full grown angels
7 Panda corys
7 Buenos Aries Tetras (not nipping)
1 large and docile pleco
4 mystery snails

I'd like it to be a more active tank... I am considering adding, rams, or rainbow fish, or maybe a large school of a different kind of tetra??

Is anyone else keeping a big planted jungle tank, with a lot of activity?  And if so, what do you have in it that you love to watch?

• Like 1

I personally like large schools of small, active, tightly schooling fish. Cardinal tetras, rummynose tetras, or green neon tetras all come to mind. I also think that schooling/shoaling fish show more natural behavior in larger groups, so I'd add (at least) another 7 panda corys. They are pretty fun to watch in larger shoals.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ererer said:

I personally like large schools of small, active, tightly schooling fish. Cardinal tetras, rummynose tetras, or green neon tetras all come to mind. I also think that schooling/shoaling fish show more natural behavior in larger groups, so I'd add (at least) another 7 panda corys. They are pretty fun to watch in larger shoals.

Absolutely planning to add more pandas!  We did a dark substrate this time around, so they really stick out nicely!

• Like 2

I personaly would do a school of larger southbamerican tetras like blue columbian or bleeding heart. Have you considered endlers livebears. With that much space you could start a colony with other fish in their. As far as small tetras go I like pristilla also known as x-ray. I dont know why I like them so much probably because of the deep shiny body with red white black and yellow fins

• Like 1

If I had a 120, I'd probably get a massive school of slivertip tetras, which school in really cool ways in large numbers.

Another option for liveliness are giant danios (there are other, less giant danios that are also very active, but few keep giant danios because of the space they need. Not a problem here!). For larger livebearers who'll help fill up the space, swordtails could be a lot of fun, too.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sal said:

So I've moved almost all of my existing fish from the 55 to the 120, and... its so empty.  😂.  Not a bad problem to have, I realize.

The only fish I have left to move are the 4 angels, but I'm not sure 4 angels are going to add the activity level back to the tank.

I also think the fish are a little scared... which is partially because of the new house, and maybe also partially because it's so much more empty space??  It's been a few days, and they are starting to slowly warm up to their new surroundings, and they are eating fine.  I know it will take time for the plants to grow/fill in, but I also think after the angels are moved, I'd like to QT some new fish for the community.

As a refresher, we have currently:
4 full grown angels
7 Panda corys
7 Buenos Aries Tetras (not nipping)
1 large and docile pleco
4 mystery snails

I'd like it to be a more active tank... I am considering adding, rams, or rainbow fish, or maybe a large school of a different kind of tetra??

Is anyone else keeping a big planted jungle tank, with a lot of activity?  And if so, what do you have in it that you love to watch?

In a 120 you have lots and lots of options for smaller fish. I personally would do lots of different types of South American tetras (like mentioned above), rasboras, danios, smaller barbs, or similar. Also several hordes of Corydoras down below.

Here's a couple of suggestions:

• 10 larger tetras, like the blue colombian, black skirt, bleeding heart, or emperor tetra.
  • 15-20 smaller tetras, like the pristella/x-ray, lemon, black neon, or rosy tetra.
  • 15 harlequin rasboras or similar fish (like danios, cherry barbs, etc.)
  • 10 more panda corydoras.
  • 10 more Corydoras species. They could be even more pandas, or could be a different species of your choice.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CorydorasEthan said:

In a 120 you have lots and lots of options for smaller fish. I personally would do lots of different types of South American tetras (like mentioned above), rasboras, danios, smaller barbs, or similar. Also several hordes of Corydoras down below.

Here's a couple of suggestions:

• 10 larger tetras, like the blue colombian, black skirt, bleeding heart, or emperor tetra.
  • 15-20 smaller tetras, like the pristella/x-ray, lemon, black neon, or rosy tetra.
  • 15 harlequin rasboras or similar fish (like danios, cherry barbs, etc.)
  • 10 more panda corydoras.
  • 10 more Corydoras species. They could be even more pandas, or could be a different species of your choice.

It has been on my mind to add another Cory species too!  Our LFS always has a great variety of different species.   My kids really wanted the pandas, but I've always been drawn to just regular ol' sterbai cories.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kirsten said:

If I had a 120, I'd probably get a massive school of slivertip tetras, which school in really cool ways in large numbers.

Another option for liveliness are giant danios (there are other, less giant danios that are also very active, but few keep giant danios because of the space they need. Not a problem here!). For larger livebearers who'll help fill up the space, swordtails could be a lot of fun, too.

Ooh, I've never heard of giant danios!  I will look into these too.  We were just looking at swordtails at the LFS last week and admiring the bright orange colors.  😍

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, anewbie said:

Breed your angles and then you will have more angels ! This is my 120 - i started with 3 angels and now .....

1.jpg.b3012b73171f32dac8c2c02dc4febc75.jpg

STUNNING! 😍 Our 4 angels are 2 pairs, and both have bred many times, one pair even got their babies to the wiggler stage a few times... But none have ever survived to be free swimming...  The "parents" are always moving the wigglers all over the tank and then eventually eat them, LOL.  Beautiful fish, but terrible parents.  😂

Well i cheated. What I did was this - when the parents moved the wrigglers to  a leaf - i stole the leaf and put it in a fry container and hung it off another tank. I then waited till they started swimming I waited 24 hours (at the same time started hatching bbs) and then i fed them bbs 4 or 5 times a day - with a new hatching ever 48 hours. After a week i moved to an in tank container and slowly weened them to powder food. I think i lost 6 or 7 the first week and 3 after that and the rest made it (35? 45?). I gave a bucket of them to the lfs and kept 8. The most important part is during that first week - before each feeding i used a turkey blaster to siphon out any uneaten food or deaths and replace water with fresh water - it is critical that nothing is allowed to decay in their container as that will kill them and was the cause of most of my deaths. My angels can now get them to free swimming but they are in a community tank and don't have much of a chance and quite frankly i'm out of space so i don't any more fishes of any sort (quietly ignores the 30 frys  he found this morning in his 40B). 

-

Anyway this is what they look like when i 'kidnapped' them from the parents:

yy.jpg.a0b9533a41b1c43f8975a9ae3d228163.jpg

• Like 5

So cool @anewbie!!  I assumed there was a lot more care that we needed to put into it if we wanted to end up with viable babies (your explanation certainly proves that to be true) so maybe we will try again, but for now I'm ok to ignore them.  The snail eggs may be harder to ignore...  They're just so cute.

• Like 1