Does anyone have experience with this specific tank?

mgudyka

I have MTS pretty bad. I noticed at petsmart they are having a sale on a tank/stand ensemble for $200

https://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks-aquariums-and-nets/aquariums/marineland-modern-led-aquarium-and-stand-ensemble-60-gallon-34998.html?cgid=300129

Does anyone have any experience with this brand or even this tank specifically? I have a hard time getting past negative reviews but I don't know if the negative reviews are written by people who didn't do things right, like not making sure their tank is level. 

Screenshot_20210329-222342.png

1 minute ago, mgudyka said:

I have MTS pretty bad. I noticed at petsmart they are having a sale on a tank/stand ensemble for $200

https://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks-aquariums-and-nets/aquariums/marineland-modern-led-aquarium-and-stand-ensemble-60-gallon-34998.html?cgid=300129

Does anyone have any experience with this brand or even this tank specifically? I have a hard time getting past negative reviews but I don't know if the negative reviews are written by people who didn't do things right, like not making sure their tank is level. 

Screenshot_20210329-222342.png

I’ve never had a marine land tank but I have many of there other products and they are pretty good quality 

• Like 1

Mine has been set up for a year now without any problem. I have the lights it came with setup but don’t use them as I have an AquaSky light for the plants. The larger front panel compared to a 55 or a 75 is nice. The stand is pretty basic. I was only able to fit a 5 gallon tank inside for quarantine, try as I might I could not get a 10 gallon in. I added a shelf on the the other side of the stand for more storage. I mounted a power strip on the back upper trim inside for all of the plugins. And a whisper 100 placed in the stand is running 8 air stones for a year without issue.

Like I said no complaints and no problem. But if I could do it again I would get a 90 gallon tank for the extra 6” front to back, but have a hard time finding those and certainly not at that price point. I got mine for $150 on Black Friday 2 years ago when it was normally listed for 300 or 350

FF7C1613-0AB1-4B9C-923B-F1D8D481E0FB.jpeg

• Like 1

Check the stand if it is MDF you will likely not want to use them. If they get even a little wet they can fail and with an aquarium of that size it would be quite a mess. The key thing about a 'little' wet is the stand likely has a protective coating but if it penetrates the coating than MDF quickly breaks down with the smallest amount of water. You really want a hardwood stand (oak, maple most common) or metal. RJ enterprise sells solid wood stand as well glasscages but they are not cheap and of course those handy with a hammer can make their own (though a lot of folks seem to use pine which is not the best choice but far far superior to MDF. glasscages i think is a bit less expensive but petsmart and petco will sell RJ enterprise stands and they have sales (online sites - never seen them in store).

-

The tank itself I can't answer - i've had two smaller aqueon fail in the past 24 months (a 29 and 40B). I currently ahve 3 aqueon (29,29 and 40B) and one marineland (120) all of them are around 16 months old which is not a very good sample period but i have read horror stories of marine-land and aqueon larger tanks failing. The warranty on these are worthless because the water damage is far more expensive than the tank itself if the tank is in a main room (like living room or similar). For those with concrete basement of course water damage is not so terrible.

Personally I wouldn’t purchase this aquarium for a few reasons.

1- The stand is MDF and not going to be very secure once it touches water, which definitely will happen.

2- I prefer a 75 gallon over a 60.

3- The lights it comes with aren’t very good.

4- For $200, I would purchase a 75 gallon during $1/gallon sale for $105, then for another $30 I would build a stand using 2x4’s, and lastly $60 for a stingray 2 for a grand total of $195, and you will have an extremely sturdy stand, larger aquarium, with a light that will grow most low-medium light plants.

I am aware that some people don’t have the space, tools, or skill to build a stand, but if you search the YouTube’s, you will see that it is a pretty basic thing to do.

Thank you and good luck to you! 

• Like 3

I concur with @MannyI bought a 75 gallon Marineland tank and stand combo from Petsmart last year, and while the tank was fine though not the best in regards to cleaned up silicone the stand was abominable. It was made from pressed wood, nearly 1/2 inch difference in height from front to back and diagonally across it was off by 3/8 inch as well. Combined with our living room floor that is off more than I would like it would've been a recipe for disaster, so my wife and I chucked the stand and had a custom stand built locally out of white oak, in mission furniture style with an internal 1.25" inch square tube steel frame on 8 adjustable load bearing feet that can hold the complete weight of the full tank each.

The Marineland light is just enough to see what's in your tank, not to grow plants. All in all if I'm buying another tank I'll buy separately and it won't be a Petsmart combo, or Marineland. Buying the combo just added to the overall expense because I had to buy new lights and a reliable stand anyway.

All that said I'm happy with the looks of my tank and stand now.20201226_143510a-Edit.jpg.c88b8bedfc18b492bed3d7d068472cef.jpg

• Like 2

@Daniell it was the only place that had a 75 Gallon tank available in the dimensions I wanted, unless I would have been willing to drive another 150 miles at the time, and the lockdown complicated things. Unfortunately it only came as a combo. Petsmart is usually just a stop for cat food for us, generally I'm not too thrilled about their aquarium section and prefer to buy from my LFS. Then again it definitely beat garage sale and possibly having to reseal.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Manny said:

Personally I wouldn’t purchase this aquarium for a few reasons.

1- The stand is MDF and not going to be very secure once it touches water, which definitely will happen.

2- I prefer a 75 gallon over a 60.

3- The lights it comes with aren’t very good.

4- For $200, I would purchase a 75 gallon during $1/gallon sale for $105, then for another $30 I would build a stand using 2x4’s, and lastly $60 for a stingray 2 for a grand total of $195, and you will have an extremely sturdy stand, larger aquarium, with a light that will grow most low-medium light plants.

I am aware that some people don’t have the space, tools, or skill to build a stand, but if you search the YouTube’s, you will see that it is a pretty basic thing to do.

Thank you and good luck to you! 

Or check your local classifieds for used tanks. There are nearly always good deals on large volume tanks, e.g., 60 gallons and up. On smaller tanks, 20 gallons and under, people tend to have an overinflated idea of their value. 😎

• Like 1

Another thing to do for stands is hunt your local goodwills and such. It can be a bit of a treasure hunt to find the right dimension cabinets but when you do it's oh so sweet. Many of the furniture they sell are 90's and older furniture that people got rid of in a move. Almost always these things are made of oak and are HEAVY. But the beautiful thing about oak is it is sturdy and generally water resistant.

Also unrelated but Kessil seems to be killing it in the high end lighting department. I will be investing in 2 a160we tuna suns soon. The fact that the light replicates sun shimmer is impressive to me. After finishing a car project high end aquarium stuff seems cheap to me 😆

• Like 3

@Biotope Biologistwith the Kessils remember to consider that the point source array LED also creates light and shade spots in your tank, especially in the presence of hardscape so it is important to keep that in mind when planting. The shimmer, just like in rivers in nature is produced by surface water movement, so you can increase, or decrease the effect by directing waterflow. I've never used the A160WE Tuna Suns, but I love my A360X Tuna Suns.

• Like 2