Easygreen with co2

The dosing should not change too much. Depending on the plant load it could be more or less. If dosing Co2 the plants will eat better hence some more EG should do them good. If you start to see plants wither away to veins on the leaves this could be a sign of the plants eating themselves for nutrients. This could be a sign to dose more. I would start with 1-2x a week. with a small water-change when the nitrate goes above 20ppm. Essentially you are targeting 20ppm nitrate at all times. I think the math for a dose of EG is 5ppm nitrate. So If you do a water-change and your nitrate is 0-10ppm I may just do a double dose of EG initially and let it ride for 5 days or so. Again this all depends on your plant load and fish load. 

If you are new to Co2 please understand its a long process to dial in for any aquarium. Target probably 1-2bubbles per second (bps) with the needle valve, and have it run only when the lights are on. Keep in mind this will also affect your PH in relation with your KH. 

Below Is a neat grid to use, as bubble counters I feel are really inaccurate. 

For example, 

My water comes from the tap 7.6ph and 6KH. So I use the grid to walk myself down to the green zone essentially 7.0ph by the time my Co2 cuts off for the day. By the next day my PH only rises to 7.2 over night then its back at 7.0 at high light and never goes below. Giving me close to the coveted 30ppm of Co2 and within the green zone. Its very easy to over-gas an aquarium. If you do, Just do a water-change and adjust the needle valve. This process again can take some time to dial in. I've tried the bubble counter method and adjusting the Co2 every 2-4hrs and every time I've gone too far because the bubble counter reads essentially late. What ever the bubble counter says is a reading prior to when you are testing the tank ph. This grid and testing PH is very effective just time consuming. You essentially want to test PH right before the lights come on and co2 begins. Wait a few hours and test again, wait a few hours and test again. Then test at lights out and again in the morning. Once you understand how your aquarium processes the Co2 load you can adjust from there. I would probably not go past 3bps co2 in most scenarios but honestly that's just my opinion. 

Co2 Levels Relative to PH and KH.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aquatic fanatic said:

Nice bit of information I really appreciate it. I'm using a.co2 reactor with my co2 system does this still applie to.the 1 to 2 bbs?

That I'm afraid I have zero experience with. I'm sure there are some around here that do reactor Co2 though. 

12 hours ago, Aquatic fanatic said:

Nice bit of information I really appreciate it. I'm using a.co2 reactor with my co2 system does this still applie to.the 1 to 2 bbs?

Bbs is irrelevant. Using the chart or observing a 1pH drop is the best way to calculate ppm of co2.

• Like 1