Kirk

Water parameters all good. Been doing frequent water changes. This is my second round with Gold Rams, first batch had fungus ended up culling them. This batch a couple have this white spot on fins or tails, this one is by far the worst in this batch. Varys with One spot or maybe up to three much smaller spots. I’ve Ich X them, currently using Maracyn on them in another day or two I’ll paraguard them. Had these Rams about 2 weeks. These fish must be acceptable to disease?? Everything I read on them is their hardy but couldn’t prove that by me. Anyone have any suggestions? If I cull this batch out I’m going with Appistos.

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

Water parameters all good. Been doing frequent water changes. This is my second round with Gold Rams, first batch had fungus ended up culling them. This batch a couple have this white spot on fins or tails, this one is by far the worst in this batch. Varys with One spot or maybe up to three much smaller spots. I’ve Ich X them, currently using Maracyn on them in another day or two I’ll paraguard them. Had these Rams about 2 weeks. These fish must be acceptable to disease?? Everything I read on them is their hardy but couldn’t prove that by me. Anyone have any suggestions? If I cull this batch out I’m going with Appistos.

How many days did you do Ich X?

17 hours ago, Dwayne Brown said:

Rams in general arent very hardy due to lack of genetic diversity so of you take that and you make a strain that us even less genetically diverse you have a fish that is incredibley susseptable to problems

Neither Ick X or Maracyn has worked. 
I agree 100% with you, bad genes. But looks like something would cure this.... I hate to cull this batch out as well. If it is indeed the genes would this be contagious to other fish?

@Kirk  I would use aquarium salt before any type of medicine. The reason for this is that a lot of these medicens can adversely affect the fish aquarium salt seems to help almost everything. I had ich in my aquarium and after dosing aquatium salt during eater changes it went away just be sure to do every 3 day water changes and add aquatium salt or the process wont work as well.

Edited by Dwayne Brown

31 minutes ago, Kirk said:

I did a week. Using directions on bottle. If anything in the two weeks I’ve used ick x and Maracyn this spot has gotten bigger.

Alright, it's probably Epistylis then. You need Kanaplex or Maracyn 2. It will have to be dosed orally, despite the box directions. I like Kanaplex. Grab both Seachem Kanaplex and Seachem Focus. Also, up your water changes. 

2 hours ago, Dwayne Brown said:

@Kirk  I would use aquarium salt before any type of medicine. The reason for this is that a lot of these medicens can adversely affect the fish aquarium salt seems to help almost everything. I had ich in my aquarium and after dosing aquatium salt during eater changes it went away just be sure to do every 3 day water changes and add aquatium salt or the process wont work as well.

I’ll try salt. Started watching Cory’s video for dosages. Thanks Dwayne

2 hours ago, Mmiller2001 said:

Alright, it's probably Epistylis then. You need Kanaplex or Maracyn 2. It will have to be dosed orally, despite the box directions. I like Kanaplex. Grab both Seachem Kanaplex and Seachem Focus. Also, up your water changes. 

• 1 month later...

Here’s an update....... nothing works, lol.

Tried the quarantine trio of meds, Maracyn two, saltwater and Kanaplex.

Rams all act normal and very active, eat well.

Any other suggestions before I cull?

24 minutes ago, Kirk said:

I’ve seen this same fungus on gold Rams in pet stores as well as videos people publish on you tube.

it could be stalked ciliates a type of parasites that can have a fluffy appearance similar to a fungal infection  or it could bad fungal infection I would treat with API fungus cure if that doesn't work I would treat with paracleanse or you could treat with poly guard as @Mmiller2001 suggested to cover all bases

Edited by Colu

• 4 weeks later...

Gold Ram update.

API Pimafix seems to be the ticket. These guys are 95% better. After the final dose/day they were only somewhat better I let them soak in the water for a couple days, still not much better, but after a water change and a couple days later they look much better! However I found polyguard and it is currently in route so I may hit them with that to see if it can wrap this up Afterwards I’ll then give them a couple weeks to see if the fungus returns. Should probably give them another round of pimafix but polyguard was already ordered. And I have a small fortune tied up in meds. Soooo if this ever arises again with someone else suggest trying api pimafix first. Appreciate everyone’s suggestions!

Thanks Nerms!