What is this??? Anemone-shaped mold in my freshwater tank???

Just a Pygmy Corydora

First of all, let me repeat: WHAT IS THIS??? There is this anemone-shaped mold growing on my two-day old Xtreme betta pellet. Its this white translucent 1 cm anemone thingy. I freaked out so I took it out with tweezers right away, The weird mold is in a freshwater tank, so it can't be real anemone, right?? And it just freaks me out and I'm really stressed about it now... can someone help me??

Just another filter feeder. I wouldn't worry too much about it if that is what you had. I suppose when people say anenome in freshwater I think either bryozoan or hydra. The hydra are capable of killing fish, so if you have hydra you will need to acquire betel nut extract. If it is a bryozoan, these are harmless and you can just let it do it's thing.

In either case both animals will show up again and you can snap a pic and we can I.D it. The fact that you said "anenome shaped mold" makes me lean towards bryozoan especially if you live in the midwest close to the great lakes.

46 minutes ago, Biotope Biologist said:

Just another filter feeder. I wouldn't worry too much about it if that is what you had. I suppose when people say anenome in freshwater I think either bryozoan or hydra. The hydra are capable of killing fish, so if you have hydra you will need to acquire betel nut extract. If it is a bryozoan, these are harmless and you can just let it do it's thing.

In either case both animals will show up again and you can snap a pic and we can I.D it. The fact that you said "anenome shaped mold" makes me lean towards bryozoan especially if you live in the midwest close to the great lakes.

I live in Washington, where Aquarium Co-op is.