Any Aphyosemion experts?

AquaAggie

I learned today that what was sold to me as a female golden wonder killi is not a golden wonder killi at all. @Colu was kind enough to suggest it was actually a species of aphyosemion. 
Best I can tell it was rather drab compared to the pics that I see online so I think may still be female. They also appear to be named killi fish but originate from Africa where as the golden wonder killi come from Sri Lanka.

My particular fish does not necessarily favor the top of the tank and is found throughout the water column and has plenty of attitude. Saw it square off with one of my Bolivian rams earlier today. 

Can anyone give me more info about this fish?  Thanks

35F75A54-9A74-4A0E-8BCE-AC1FB60F6E9E.jpeg

315608DF-4B70-48CE-BEE3-864BA67D4602.jpeg

7455F2D4-1F7D-489E-B78F-D7D71D86FA6A.jpeg

B2DED378-A263-4757-ADF4-B809D87C8BDE.jpeg

On 3/28/2021 at 10:34 PM, AquaAggie said:

I learned today that what was sold to me as a female golden wonder killi is not a golden wonder killi at all. @Colu was kind enough to suggest it was actually a species of aphyosemion. 
Best I can tell it was rather drab compared to the pics that I see online so I think may still be female. They also appear to be named killi fish but originate from Africa where as the golden wonder killi come from Sri Lanka.

My particular fish does not necessarily favor the top of the tank and is found throughout the water column and has plenty of attitude. Saw it square off with one of my Bolivian rams earlier today. 

Can anyone give me more info about this fish?  Thanks

35F75A54-9A74-4A0E-8BCE-AC1FB60F6E9E.jpeg

315608DF-4B70-48CE-BEE3-864BA67D4602.jpeg

7455F2D4-1F7D-489E-B78F-D7D71D86FA6A.jpeg

B2DED378-A263-4757-ADF4-B809D87C8BDE.jpeg

Hey @AquaAggie. Sorry for the late response. I am no expert by any means, but here's what I found:

The genus Aphyosemion contains common species of killifish like the lyretail killifish (A. australe), which is also known as the golden or chocolate panchax killi, depending on the colors. The females look a lot less colorful, but seem to be much slimmer and with a differing mouth shape to the kilii you currently have.

This has led me to believe (after some research) that your killifish is neither a golden wonder nor a Aphyosemion species, but rather a species within the genus Fundulopanchax, specifically F. gardneri. In the aquarium hobby it is known as the Gardneri killi. The females of this species look identical to the one you have here. In addition to their wild coloration, some individuals are a yellow form, which might have caused the confusion with the golden wonder killi (Apolcheilus lineatus). I do not know much on the care of the Gardneri killis, but I did a little research and here's what I found:

• They like softer water with a lower pH, as they originate from swamps in Africa.
  • Not really suitable for a general community aquarium (not a lot of killis are).
  • Males can be pretty aggressive with one another and on lone females.
  • Females are generally pretty peaceful, so if you wanted tank mates keep them with tetras and other smaller schooling fish that require similar water conditions.
  • They are great jumpers, so have a lid.

Although this doesn't quite match up with your experience, I would avoid keeping them with slightly larger fish like rams, as I would assume the larger the fish, the more competition for food/territory they see it as. You might just try moving the killifish to her own aquarium, and then maybe try to find a couple more females and a male to see if you can breed them.

Here are a couple of articles I came across:

Also, I do know that @Fish Folk also keeps and has spawned the killifish Fundulopanchax scheeli, a very close relative of F. gardneri. I would assume their care is very similar, so his experiences might be helpful.

Anyway, I hope this helps, and good luck with that killi!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’d agree with everything @CorydorasEthan has posted here. Probably a F. Gardneri female. Origin is Africa. Pretty flexible parameters. Males quite aggressive.

Killifish are the “orchids” of the aquarium hobby. Very beautiful, but not for the beginner hobbyist.

And yes: THEY WILL JUMP OUT OF YOUR TANK! You must keep full, tight-fitting lids if you want to keep them for long.  

We breed F. Scheeli, a close relative of F. Gardneri. Females of both species look a lot alike at first glance. Here’s a video taken the other night of ours spawning...

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 4

As a followup, I’ll just add... I could be mistaken on the exact species. No doubt it’s a Killi female... but hard to be utterly sure.

But look! She’s loaded with eggs! Clear / light yellow roe filling her abdomen. You should make a spawning mop (watch LRB Aquatics for helpful “how to make a spawning mop” video tutorial on his YouTube channel) and buy yourself a F. Gardneri male. Get a critter lid (see below) to fit over a 10-gal. Plant it up, and you’re in business!

A7BAD43E-CFA4-4BAA-B4C5-15F73A964EC0.jpeg

C3A5F96E-D9C1-4317-BFBC-F7659E07178E.jpeg

• Thanks 1