Best plants for gravel substrate.

As usual like others I bought the gravel from petco, and i bought the 20lb one. Which I cannot return now. I dont want to spend another 20$ on the dirt substrate so I am using the gravel. I ordered the bulb plant for now and waiting for it to get shipped. Could you suggest any plants that can grow in a 10 gallon tank in where I am planning to have few small guppies and platy around 5. 

Any suggestions are welcomed. 

I have a 29 gallon with sand which I know is a lot harder to grow plants in then gravel so feel like what worked for me should work for you. I have 2 java ferns I would recomend these but you have to have something to glue them to like bogwood or something for the glue i use krazy. I also have an anubius which is doing well but it does get uprooted a lot I think it would do well in gravel. I would also recomend a ludwigia repens which I got on sale at my lfs turned out to be nothing but cuttings from the plant but I stuck them in the sand and now their growing would expect the same results with gravel. And funaly my favorite pogostemon stellatus. This is an incredibaly hardy fast growing plant that easily took over half of my aquarium it grows about an inch a day and is super easy to propogate. 

• Thanks 1

Any and all plants.  Remember you can always add fertilizer to the substrate and water.  

Also you can mix something like eco-complete to the gravel you already purchased.  This is what I do.    Good Luck 

22E289E1-D307-4CE7-9C37-6ADDFC7CB88D.jpeg

7ABCCFC7-ACB4-4FAD-AB28-982B81D35B00.jpeg

• Thanks 1

As said several times already there aren really any plants you can't grow in gravel. However anything regarded as a heavy root feeder (swords and crypts) will probably need root tabs to provide nutrients. Easy green root tabs are a great option an are what I currently use, but I've also had success in the past with diy tabs. 

Stem(total, bacopa ect...) and epiphyte(buce, java fern, anubias) plants however can pull all the nutrients they need from the water and only need a liquid fertilizer such as easy green

Some java fern, anubias, moss and a couple of stems is a great start to get into planted aquariums without needing much specialized care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1