Shrimp breeding in community

Dwayne Brown

As far as I know otocinclus are the only fish that won't eat baby shrimp, but you should be able to get a colony going in your tank if you provide enough hiding places for them.  Keep in mind that you probably won't see them very often.

If breeding shrimp is your goal I highly recommend having dedicated shrimp tanks without fish.  A few snails are okay.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dwayne Brown said:

What type of biding places should I have 

@JettsPapa

I have cherry shrimp breeding well in my 20 gallon wide community tank, and the best hiding places seem to be the big clumps of java moss.  I also have a fairly coarse substrate, so I also think they disappear into that to get away from the bigger critters as well.  I started out with ~6, now I easily have over 30.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Dwayne Brown said:

I am also wondering if you need hard water for shrimp my water hardness out of the tap is 0

There's a difference between kh which is a measure of alkalinity and has to do with carbonate hardness, and gh which is general hardness and includes calcium and magnesium. Adding crushed coral in a bag in your filter can add calcium and increase kh. Unflavored cuttlebone can also be used to increase calcium. What's your aquarium ph?

It’s a bit of a gamble. Your fish might eat them and they definitely don’t like soft water. I had the same situation and lost a bunch of $7 shrimp before I learned. Now I have them in a separate tank and I might try some in the community tank when the colony gets bigger. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Daniel said:

One of the places I frequently find baby shrimp hiding in is mulm.

Definitely, and mulm is the key to jump starting a shrimp colony, all that microfauna for the babies to feast on. 

I have attempted to colonize cherry shrimp in all 9 of my tanks. Only 2 have been a fail because of the fish - my daughter's 20 gallon, with honey gouramis and green fire tetra; and my living room display tank, with large corydoras, zebra loaches, and rainbowfish. 

By far the most successful colony is in my pleco growout. Tons of vegetables and repashy fed several times a week, loads of pleco poop. 

The secret is poop! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, StephenP2003 said:

Definitely, and mulm is the key to jump starting a shrimp colony, all that microfauna for the babies to feast on. 

I have attempted to colonize cherry shrimp in all 9 of my tanks. Only 2 have been a fail because of the fish - my daughter's 20 gallon, with honey gouramis and green fire tetra; and my living room display tank, with large corydoras, zebra loaches, and rainbowfish. 

By far the most successful colony is in my pleco growout. Tons of vegetables and repashy fed several times a week, loads of pleco poop. 

The secret is poop! 

Haha, that’s a lot of shrimp. They look great hanging out in the plants like that. Do you  re mineralize at every water change?