Using bleach to rid snails.

I have read that soaking plants in 3/4 cups of bleach with one gallon of water will kill any snails and eggs.

I would think bleach would b harmful to plants?   I mean use bleach as in clorox? Any advice?

I would refrain from this method. Not that it doesn't work, I personally am just wary of reintroducing anything back into my aquariums that were anywhere near bleach. You could just borrow a clown or zebra loach. They will clear up ANY snail you want haha then you could always bring it back to your LFS for some store credit if available. Or if your tank is big enough, a school of 6 clown loaches will bring you tons of happiness. They live up to the 'clown' name. 

• Like 1

I would refrain from putting anything in bleach I personally lime having snails but I see why some consider them to be a problem. What exactly about them dont you like? The easiest way to get rid of them is lower their food supply. If you dont mind the look of snails I would definately look into getting soma assasin snail. They are snails that will eat other snails

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dwayne Brown said:

I would refrain from putting anything in bleach I personally lime having snails but I see why some consider them to be a problem. What exactly about them dont you like? The easiest way to get rid of them is lower their food supply. If you dont mind the look of snails I would definately look into getting soma assasin snail. They are snails that will eat other snails

I agree. I actually have a good colony of bladder/pond snails in my 20g which i then transport into my 72 which has a school of clown loaches. Its like watching clown loach rugby 🙂

• Thanks 1

People say that using an Alum treatment will work. I've only tried once but to be honest I always put my fish first and kind of chicken that anything that kills isn't great for the fishes. If you want to try alum powder google it - i'd go that route before bleach.

Cool, @Solidus1833 I originally got a mystery snail cause tgey are larger and more cool looking and eaisier to poplation control. Then I got 1 ramshorn snail and now they are everywhere. I dont mind them though they eat algea and extra food scraps lying around. Less work for me during cleaning😂

Edited by Dwayne Brown

3 minutes ago, Dwayne Brown said:

Cool, @Solidus1833 I originally got a mystery snail cause tgey are larger and more cool looking and eaisier to poplation control. Then I got 1 ramshorn snail and now they are everywhere. I dont mind them though they eat algea and extra food scraps lying around. Less work for me during cleaning😂

The loach method would probably work for you but keep in mind they would eventually go for mystery snails. You could do the loach method for a little while, then lower the amount of food and control the population that way after rehoming the loach. 

What I don’t like is they r everywhere.   On some fake plants that I have.  All over the filter.    Do mystery snails breed often?   I have 2 Nerite Snails that I know won’t breed in freshwater. Also I have holes in my live plants. Did the snails do that? 

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

What I don’t like is they r everywhere.   On some fake plants that I have.  All over the filter.    Do mystery snails breed often?   I have 2 Nerite Snails that I know won’t breed in freshwater. Also I have holes in my live plants. Did the snails do that? 

Thats what I like about mystery snails the knly way for them to breed is to lay a large clump of eggs on the hood of the aquarium and it takes them 2 weeks to hatch sonpopulation control is easy they also have cool patterms and get to around golf ball size which is cool

I do alum. 3 tablespoons per gallon, soak new plants for 2-3 hours, then inspect and rinse well. Can’t swear it’s 100% effective, but I don’t have any pest snails so far.

Edit: this method is for introducing new plants, as is the bleach bath, usually. Probably won’t work if they’re established in a tank, as they’ll be in the substrate, etc.

Edited by Zanara