Tubbing placement and timing

Marc

This will be my first year doing a couple of tubs.

I'm wondering if I should place them against the house or fence so they get a little bit of shade during the day or should I put them on the porch where they get no direct light.

Should I start setting them up about a month before I plan to add fish or what is the typical timing on getting them going?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marc said:

This will be my first year doing a couple of tubs.

I'm wondering if I should place them against the house or fence so they get a little bit of shade during the day or should I put them on the porch where they get no direct light.

Should I start setting them up about a month before I plan to add fish or what is the typical timing on getting them going?

It may depend some on your climate. If you're in US, lower 48, not too far north or too far south, you can definitely set up your tub now. Everyone does them differently. We use (1) Black diamonds blasting sand substrate - medium grade (2) Cycled Aquarium water (3) Primed, large sponge filter - that has been set up in our African Cichlid Tank for at least 3x weeks or longer beforehand (4) Small internal pond pump to lightly increase flow within the aquarium (5) Water lettuce across the top.

Let it settle in for a few weeks, and you're good to go. 

• Like 2

You can put them almost anywhere if you have some kind of floating plants. If you put them in direct sun I would recomend putting them about a foot in the ground to disapate heat.if you get pond plants gravel rocks and put that all in their and 4 days later get hardy fish like endlers or goldfish it should take less then a week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dwayne Brown said:

Sorry I forgot that you may live in a really hot area. It depends where you are if you can keep the tubs in full sun. If you live in a place lile texas cali or florida I wouldnt do it. Where I live we get rain and clouds so it really doesnt matter

Thanks, I live in northern CA, in the summer we get pretty warm days typically 85ish but can go above 100 and cool nights mid 50's but can go into low 40s.

I'm thinking a spot that is mostly shaded.

3 hours ago, Dwayne Brown said:

Seems like you might be in my climate zone.

I found that in western washington where i live it helps to dig and put the pot about a foot deep in the ground. This helps disapate heat during the summer and it makes sure that the bottom of the aquarium doesnt freeze.

Do you ever throw in an old heater on the lowest setting to extend the season or keep it from getting too cold on certain nights?