Nancy

I lost all the fish in my tank on Friday, this week, and I am devastated.  I've had my fish, for over seven years, and I know this might sound silly, but I enjoyed them so much and I would actually, play with them as they would follow my fingers.  I am on well water and about a year ago, our filter went out, and on Thursday, we finally got a new filter with an ozone attachment.  I had been treating my tank for three weeks as one of my silver dollars, was losing his tail fin and the largest silver dollar had a white spot on his nose.  I did a 3/4 tank water change, and took everything out of my tank and washed it off with just tap water.  I started adding the water back into my tank and I noticed immediately that the fish were acting unusual, at half full two of my fish starting floating sideways and at almost full two angels were dead and after a few minutes more the two silver dollars were trying to jump out of the tank, hitting the light panel with force.  I took them out of the tank and put them in a bucket with tap water, and within a few minutes they were dead also.  I have had fish tanks all my life, I am 68 years old and I have never experienced anything like this, does anyone have any ideas as to what could have happened.  This morning I noticed a white fungus looking stuff on the bottom of my tank and on my plants and rocks.  I have no clue what's going on, any help will be greatly appreciated.

• Sad 1

I too play with my fish as they think my finger is food.

I am sorry to hear about your fish, that SUCKS!

It sounds likke you have chlorine in your water. I would test with either the aquarium coop test strips or the tetra test strips to make sure there is no chlorine in your water. I'm assuming you didn't condition the water before you added the water.

If you washed the filter and the filter media under this tap water that had chlorine it would've killed your cycle (all though your fish probably wouldnt die so fast if the killing the cycle was the problem.

Sorry to hear that. It sounds like if you just had a filter installed the day prior, it was something to do with that. What kind of filter did you have installed? Is it a reverse osmosis system? If that's the case the pH might be much lower than what the fish are used to.

1 hour ago, Colu said:

It sound like the larger water change shocked them and might have caused your pH to crash or it could chlorine poisoning  did you treat you water with a dechlorinator 

@RyanU  is suggesting the ozone attachment to the filter killed the fishes. This seems more plausible as regular water changes had been performed without issues and well water is being used. Naturally for us who use city water we have to be concern about the city injecting something into the water that might hurt the fishes but well water is often more stable unless you live in one of those locations where they like to contaminate ground water.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I tried finding the article I read but it says ozone is dangerous even in extremely low levels. You actually have to use ozone at the tank and have it mix in a reaction chamber like a protein skimmer.  I’m assuming That this device was added right to you house filtration. Do you know how much of a dose is being added. If I remember correctly what I read was .3 to.5 mg per hour for 100 liters