I have been breeding CPD’s for over a year and recently had a juvenile that is very transparent. Is this a genetic mutation and can this gene be singled out for breeding?

Currently keeping juveniles and adults in a 29 gallon with only shrimp and snails and I don’t have any other fish, so I don’t believe it is a different species and I have added any new plants for over a year, so I don’t believe it’s a hitchhiker.

Has anyone else had any experience with this? I will plan to update this as the juvie matures, if it survives.

I attached a picture of it eating with its spawn mates, to show color and opaqueness differences.

9175CDAF-89AC-4AB2-A442-25C9BC0BCAD5.jpeg

• Like 1

I dont know a lot about breeding but I do know a little bit about genetics. So most types of aquarium fish were selectively bred. Thus is accomplished by producing many offspring with some genetic mutation and then mixing those together tonmake the mutation stronger. However in your case if this is in fact one cpb with mutation that makes it see through it must be very uncommon. One soulution if it survives is to try to breed it with regular females. The mutation may carry on into the offspring to some extent then breed those offspring together to attempt to increase the strength of the mutation. The reason this works is because each parent produces a gamete which has half the number of chromosomes nessesary for reproduction then during a stage of reproduction called mioses the chromosomes from each parent line up and cross over exchange genetic information each gamete has half the nessesary chromosomes so that half of the nessesary chromosomes from each parent mix and you get a genetically unique offspring. Now if you take a fish with a mutation and you breed that fish with normal other ones some of thise offspring will probably carry varying degrees of the mutation you can them breed those offspring together to increase the strength of the mutation. Just be careful of to much inbreeding.

• Thanks 1

I've gotten this recently from a Heterandia formosa colony in one female. I plan to do what Dwayne suggests, where I'm going to start a separate colony with a couple males, then selectively breed for it. If the CPD is white but doesn't have red eyes, then I believe it's called luecistic instead of albino, which is what I have.

• Like 1

I forgot to add this this but dont br upset if at first the colony doesnt work. Now I am not that deeply versed in genetics but from what I have learned about mendel when he did his experiments with peas the one i learned about he cross bred a pea that produced yellow seeds with one that produced green seeds. He thought that the offspring would be green yellow colored. But they werent the offspring prodduced yellow seeds. Then the generation after that the seeds produced were in a ratio of 3 green to one yellow!! This is because the offspring only iherit one set of genes from each parent so a cpb could loom normal but its offspring could be light colored and Norma.

• 3 months later...