New Natives: Elassoma Okefenokee

Fish Folk

4 minutes ago, Lifeisgood said:

There is something “perchlike” about them.  Are they juveniles?  I would be interested to know how they behave once they settle in.  Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! No, I don’t think they’re juveniles. Maybe they could grow a bit... but they really are quite “Pygmy” — max size, 1-inch. They’ll probably just hide a lot 😅

5 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

Thanks! No, I don’t think they’re juveniles. Maybe they could grow a bit... but they really are quite “Pygmy” — max size, 1-inch. They’ll probably just hide a lot 😅

Are you planning on putting together a native community tank?  Or do you already have one you are going to add these to?

• Like 1

Just now, Lifeisgood said:

Are you planning on putting together a native community tank?  Or do you already have one you are going to add these to?

This is our third “cold water” set up... 

(1) Xenotoca Doadrioi (Red-tailed Goodeids) from Mexico 

(2) Notropis chrosomus (Rainbow Shiners) + Rainbow Darters

(3) Okefenokee Pygmy Sunfish

23F82004-6ED9-445D-B2B1-CA0976976820.jpeg

316E16A5-08B7-4FC8-918C-170AA4CC6939.jpeg

EB56F35B-1474-4220-A4A7-F1F6DAAAB633.jpeg

E21401D4-34FC-4B95-A572-35CE4F4C6E46.jpeg

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, DSH OUTDOORS said:

😭😭😭 my LFS sent out a message of their new fish with those on the list. Every last one was gone by the time I got there. I'm going to live vicariously through you till I get mine. Keep the pictures coming!!

these can be had through the Aquaculture store pretty reasonably.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ererer said:

Any pics of your blackworm setup? I tried keeping a white worm culture for a while but it didn't last. I've been relying almost entirely on my microworm setup to feed my elassoma.

I’ll try to describe it. Photos can come later...

I keep the worms in a small sized sterilite container with lid in the fridge. Every day, I pour in room-temp, cycled water from my Goodeid tank (ca30 oz) and immediately pour off all cloudy water. Worms are kept moist in low water.

This video shows the container...

But the _key_ is to dump in a lot of black worms, so that they live all through the substrate. That way, there is almost no feeding necessary...

FC3608B7-8C9B-4B75-81CC-D469BB2C91FC.jpeg

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1

I am keeping black worms in a sterilite container in my basement.  Presently I change about 2/3 of the water everyday.  (Which is a necessary pain.) And I feed them fish food that my fish have rejected. An air stone might help keep water quality better.  I might set up a bigger plastic tub with some kind of filter too to lessen maintenance. 

I watched Dan’s Fish video about keeping them alive.  And he recommends keeping them like we do fish—in a tank with a filter and some kind of chunky substrate that they can get comfy in but is too big to not get sucked up in the tube or turkey baster that you use to harvest them with.  I think he used some lava rock.  I use pea gravel because that’s what I had on hand.

The fish certainly adore them, so I will work on a better set up.

On 3/26/2021 at 10:33 PM, DShelton said:

these can be had through the Aquaculture store pretty reasonably.

Fish are in their way! Will be shipped on Monday because the weather is cold this week but hanging in the 60s all next week. Getting a few tanks planted and ready this weekend with some well seasoned sponge filters and plants ready to welcome then when they arrive. Thanks for the link.

I'm working on an experiment with a black worm culture in a ten gallon tank on the basement floor. This keeps them around 60°. They have sand, gravel and sponges for shelter a sponge filter and feeding algae powder. As long as I can keep up with water changes I think they will stay viable and reproduce. I'm a month in and so far so good.

• Like 1