Hello! Intro and a Question

Sunshine

Hi there! I’m Sunny, 28 from the East Coast of South Florida. Been around and on the water my whole life, but after living away from it in the concrete jungle of Miami for the last 7 years, I’ve found myself obsessed with fish all over again! (Just moved back to my hometown with my partner back in August last year).

I’m obsessed with the Co-Op YT and watch it daily while I work (I’m an illustrator, I work from home).

My question for y’all is what would you recommend to someone buying betta from Aquabid for the first time? (In terms of treating them, feeding them the first time after their trip, etc). 

Do I ask the seller if they’re treated ahead of time before they arrive to me?

Already have the quarantine tank and his future home setup and cycling (5 gal planted) but I just want to make sure I do everything proper as possible to give him the best chance at life. I bought the Quarantine Med Trio to have on deck as well. 

Thank you so much, and let me know if you need any more info! 

I hope this isn’t a stupid question, I just would hate for anything to happen to him! 😣

Edited by Sunshine

Welcome to the forum! I don't have any experience with buying fish off of Aquabid (or any online site for that matter), but here's my suggestions:

- I would just go ahead and pick up a betta at any fish store you have in the area, as there are many bettas you will find that look great. But if you really wanted a fancy one that you can't find anywhere else, go ahead and order one off Aquabid.

- Yes I would ask those questions about treatment to the seller. It would definitely help you know if you need to treat your betta for any other diseases/sicknesses.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

36 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

My question for y’all is what would you recommend to someone buying betta from Aquabid for the first time? (In terms of treating them, feeding them the first time after their trip, etc). 

Freely ask questions of the seller. I'd also suggest looking them up on the net to see what info you can find. It'd be great if you can find reviews from other people who have bought from that seller. 

As for feeding them, I'd just say to let them get used to the light and the temp change first. Maybe an hour? 

2 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Hi there! I’m Sunny, 28 from the East Coast of South Florida. Been around and on the water my whole life, but after living away from it in the concrete jungle of Miami for the last 7 years, I’ve found myself obsessed with fish all over again! (Just moved back to my hometown with my partner back in August last year).

I’m obsessed with the Co-Op YT and watch it daily while I work (I’m an illustrator, I work from home).

Already have the quarantine tank and his future home setup and cycling (5 gal planted) but I just want to make sure I do everything proper as possible to give him the best chance at life. I bought the Quarantine Med Trio to have on deck as well. 

Thank you so much, and let me know if you need any more info! 

I hope this isn’t a stupid question, I just would hate for anything to happen to him! 😣

Welcome to the forum!

I've bought fish online several times now, but not from Aquabid specifically; though I have bought neo shrimp and mystery snails there. Definitely look at their reputation, and feedback. Do ask the seller questions, like what their water parameters are, what they're feeding, if they've been treated with anything, etc (a good seller will be happy to answer any questions you have). When the fish arrives, after floating the bag for temperature acclimation,  you will want to net him out and plop him directly into the new tank (quarantine or otherwise). Then, I usually just let them be for the rest of the day with the lights out, just checking in on them now and then - shipping is incredibly stressful and they need some time to adjust and chill. That night I may try to give them some food if they seem settled in enough.

I typically don't medicate until I see a need for it, but if you want to do the precautionary med treatment marinade recommended by the Co-Op, just put the meds in after you put the fish in.

Don't be shy about asking questions, that's what the forums are for! 🙂