What’s this behavior

Chiclid addict

18 minutes ago, Fishdude said:

Without seeing it (and not having experience with cichlids)...could it be a swim bladder issue? I wonder if you watch videos of that behavior if you'd find the answer.

It doesn’t really look like any of the sbd vids I watched and she doesn’t have problems going up or down she will just randomly fall and then spring back up almost like she’s tripping 

Video footage would help. Just record some from your phone and post it on youtube. Doesn't have to be fancy.

Anyways, could she be "flashing?" Sometimes fish will suddenly bounce off the substrate or an object to scratch an itch. Doesn't always mean anything, just means something is irritating them.

But without seeing the behavior you're describing it's hard for anyone to really know for sure.

3 minutes ago, H.K.Luterman said:

Video footage would help. Just record some from your phone and post it on youtube. Doesn't have to be fancy.

Anyways, could she be "flashing?" Sometimes fish will suddenly bounce off the substrate or an object to scratch an itch. Doesn't always mean anything, just means something is irritating them.

But without seeing the behavior you're describing it's hard for anyone to really know for sure.

Thanks I think it is flashing I am trying to get a vid but she only does it ever 10-20 minutes if it is flashing what could cause it 

22 minutes ago, Angelfishlover said:

Thanks I think it is flashing I am trying to get a vid but she only does it ever 10-20 minutes if it is flashing what could cause it 

Flashing us usually caused by a fish being what we percieve as itchy. What are your water parameters? If a fish flashes infrequently its usually fine but as frequent as 20 minutes is to often. It usually is nothing serious most times cronic flashing is caused by little parasites on the fishes skin. A few weeks ago my aquarium had the same issue. I resolved it by adminkstering aquarium salt. If you dont have any its super cheap and super easy to use.

5 minutes ago, Dwayne Brown said:

Flashing us usually caused by a fish being what we percieve as itchy. What are your water parameters? If a fish flashes infrequently its usually fine but as frequent as 20 minutes is to often. It usually is nothing serious most times cronic flashing is caused by little parasites on the fishes skin. A few weeks ago my aquarium had the same issue. I resolved it by adminkstering aquarium salt. If you dont have any its super cheap and super easy to use.

I finally got a video I will post it when it finishes uploading I will treat with aquarium salt 

Yep, that’s flashing! The first time I saw my yo-yo loach flashing it totally freaked me out too!

I would watch and wait for at least 12 hours before starting treatment, because sometimes there’s just one spot that they can’t quite scratch, but after several attempts they finally get it. Some flashing is totally normal, but as @Dwayne Brown said, chronic flashing is not. Did you ever mention your water parameters? Maybe there’s an ammonia spike or a pH swing—that could make the fish feel itchy too.

1 minute ago, Hobbit said:

Yep, that’s flashing! The first time I saw my yo-yo loach flashing it totally freaked me out too!

I would watch and wait for at least 12 hours before starting treatment, because sometimes there’s just one spot that they can’t quite scratch, but after several attempts they finally get it. Some flashing is totally normal, but as @Dwayne Brown said, chronic flashing is not. Did you ever mention your water parameters? Maybe there’s an ammonia spike or a pH swing—that could make the fish feel itchy too.

I should be able to get those water parameters tomorrow It was literally next on my list to test when my api kit ran out I should be getting another tomorrow morning 

• Like 1