Help with how to use Purigen in my HOB filter

I have a 20 gallon with a aqueon quiet flow HOB filter. I wanted to try Purigen after my next water change/aquarium clean but have no idea how to use it. I have the ones that are in a bag that state it treats 100 US gallons. I was concerned if was more that what I needed. 

I would also like to add some bio media as well. I have a coarse filter, but am thinking I would like to add some kind of bio media to help more with bacteria. The HOB filters are not deep, and this one is narrow too.. so not sure how I can get everything in there. I saw Cory's video for my exact filter, and was wondering if there is smaller bio media that would take a bit less room, but be just as effective. 

Look forward to everyone's experience and suggestions. 

Sandra - I recently added the small-pre filled bag of purigen to my Aquaclear 20 on a nano tank. It was a tight fit but I was able to make it work. I did shorten up my block of course filtration and replaced what I cut off with some finer media to get everything I wanted packed in. 

I will leave it to the experts to answer the part about whether its more than needed - maybe ill learn I should have asked before buying like you did and wish I had my 10 bucks back 🙂  

Hi, as far as I can tell it doesn't really matter how much it says on the package, Purigen seems to be pretty standard across sizes. The bag, and actual resin seems like a good spot for nitrifying bacteria to grow, so unless you need a LOT of biological filtration you might be able to not use as much, or non at all. I have a Quiet Flow right now, and I agree that the compartment is pretty small, maybe try doing something like this? I've done this configuration, just without the bio media. (In the picture it's ceramic rings, however you can probably use whatever you choose, feel free to ignore if you would like, this probably isn't the most efficient use of space)

1185158253_ScreenShot2021-03-25at4_36_48PM.png.7bae2bb4a84b111320a67e9986c2821e.png

Key

Red: Unusable space

Brown: Purigen bag

Orange: Sponge

Grey: Biomedia

Edited by FlyingFishKeeper

Purigen is simply a resin that adsorbs organics from the water, reducing total dissolved solids. Once it turns brown it is recharged by soaking in a 50/50 bleach water solution, then dechlorinating before reuse (the bleach burns off the organics). So there really is no such thing as too little or too much as a larger amount in a smaller tank simply means it will last longer before becoming saturated with organics required recharging.

As to bio-media, I find that sponge material is every bit as good or better than plastics, ceramics, or rocks sold as "bio-media".

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, FlyingFishKeeper said:

The bag, and actual resin seems like a good spot for nitrifying bacteria to grow, so unless you need a LOT of biological filtration you might be able to not use as much, or non at all.

No, not so. When the resin adsorbs organics and turns brown, it gets recharged in a bleach/water solution - death to any biology!

6 minutes ago, Sandra the fish rookie said:

Now how to I FIT it in there? I have a blue thing I have the coarse filter in it slides down into the filter box. So where do I put the purigen? behind that? Or remove the blue holder thing, and just have the black coarse Aquarium Co Op sponge and purgen in front or in back of it?

With or without the blue piece, I would place the Purigen packet after the coarse mechanical sponge.

@Angelfishlover and @MJV Aquatics See what I have below. I usually put some filter floss in the front of the coarse filter but maybe I am doing that wrong? Actually its not an ACO filter, its another one I purchased before I started ordering stuff from ACO. Its an Aquaclear. This filter comes with a specialty filter section, which I like because I can put carbon sponge in it as needed, but it too has a piece of aquaclear coarse sponge in it I cut to fit it, AND I have a filter on the return as well because I have shrimp and don't want them to get sucked into the filter. 

20210325_164510.jpg

20210325_164521.jpg

20210325_165142.jpg

4 hours ago, Sandra the fish rookie said:

@Angelfishlover and @MJV Aquatics See what I have below. I usually put some filter floss in the front of the coarse filter but maybe I am doing that wrong? Actually its not an ACO filter, its another one I purchased before I started ordering stuff from ACO. Its an Aquaclear. This filter comes with a specialty filter section, which I like because I can put carbon sponge in it as needed, but it too has a piece of aquaclear coarse sponge in it I cut to fit it, AND I have a filter on the return as well because I have shrimp and don't want them to get sucked into the filter. 

20210325_164510.jpg

20210325_164521.jpg

20210325_165142.jpg

Yeah I have that exact filter in a 30 and 75 I don’t have one just because I’m to lazy but I would also  add a pre filter on the filter straw 

Edited by Angelfishlover