Switching from planted glass freshwater tank to same size acrylic tank

Jay Thomas

Established, 2 yr old planted 36 gal glass freshwater tank with EcoComplete substrate and Fluval plant light. Couple of large sword plants and several pogo octopus plants. Stocked with 1 large Angel, 6 Cories , 4  otocinclus. Bought same size acrylic tank and need to switch everything over, eventually. I have brand new EcoComplete but can I or should I still use some of the old substrate ? Should I put the old under or over the new ? My plan is to get the new tank going and get a bit of algae built up before moving the Otos over. They are thriving and I don’t want to lose them. Or would there be enough for them eat on the plants themselves to sustain them if I move them sooner? Any advice on making this type of switch would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all !

50986A61-1C04-44B9-ACB5-DC2B37C9E1DD.jpeg

You can use some of the old substrate but what I would definitely re-use is the filter and filter material from your current tank. That will help get the new tank established much quicker.

With substrate I tend to not use as much of the old if it is one that had nutrients added like Fluval Stratum, ADA Amazonia, laterite, or Seachem Flourite because they get exhausted over time in a heavily planted tank, but even even a little bit helps speed up to get your beneficial bacteria filter in your substrate established.