Bloodworm allergy (bleh)

KBOzzie59

I've been feeding them for a while now, freeze dried and frozen.  Well last night was no different!  I like holding the frozen gumdrops for my dojo's to eat from my hand while letting some sink down for the other fish to enjoy.  I woke up this morning with my eyes almost swollen shut, I've had other mild symptoms over the past couple of weeks as well but shrugged them off as the usual springtime allergies.  I guess I'll be gloving up if I plan on physically handling them from now on.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

With me it's just the freeze-dried ones. The frozen have no impact. The freeze-dried have my eyes and nose running like mad. I've fed the live ones in the past with no issues either. I used to handfeed live bloodworms to my Rock Beauty and Mandarin back when I had a marine tank. No problems whatsoever, but the freeze-dried ones just kill me. 

1 hour ago, KBOzzie59 said:

Wow I guess it can be pretty serious.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4126047/

The authors of that article probably don't understand that there are two types of bloodworms. The marine bloodworms they link to are those used for catching fish and are large to very large and not typically used to feed our pet fish. The fish food type bloodworms are freshwater and the larvae of midge flies. They're completely different animals. The bloodworms I'm allergic to are the fish food type and the little guys up to an inch or so in length. They're the midge fly larvae. The bloodworms they link to are the worms that stay worms their whole lives and get quite large, often a foot or more in length. If you've got big fish you could feed them the bigger bloodworms, but if I was guessing, I'd bet the person mentioned was feeding her fish the midge fly larvae instead.

3 hours ago, KBOzzie59 said:

I've been feeding them for a while now, freeze dried and frozen.  Well last night was no different!  I like holding the frozen gumdrops for my dojo's to eat from my hand while letting some sink down for the other fish to enjoy.  I woke up this morning with my eyes almost swollen shut, I've had other mild symptoms over the past couple of weeks as well but shrugged them off as the usual springtime allergies.  I guess I'll be gloving up if I plan on physically handling them from now on.

Because of the asthmatic reaction I was having.. I am staying away from them regardless of gloves!  

allergies suck. if i were allergic to a particular fish food i would find a different food all together, or different fish that dont demand that one food. it is just not worth the health problems. even with gloves, you will still have some contact with it. just my thoughts, and certainly not a criticism if you want to give it a shot any ways.

For me it is pretty extreme, and escalated rapidly. I cannot have them in the house. I have found that some fish will take frozen tubifex worms just as eagerly. My puffers are not in this category, but they like snails and brine shrimp.