6 minutes ago, Stephen Zawacki said:

How long should I treat the tank for and also since the compresiceps are new and don’t have ich would the medicine harm them ?

Just follow the directions on the label. It takes about 5-ish days. It's safe for non-infected fish and is often used as a prophylactic treatment.

• Like 2

Hi I have a question I’m in college so tank size is limited to  a 40 breeder. I have 7 red fin compreciceps and 3 panda garas. Could they live their full life in a 40 breeder without being overstocked or crowded, and have plenty of room.

Also my tank is heavily planted.

thankyou 

Edited by Stephen Zawacki

1 hour ago, Stephen Zawacki said:

Hi I have a question I’m in college so tank size is limited to  a 40 breeder. I have 7 red fin compreciceps and 3 panda garas. Could they live their full life in a 40 breeder without being overstocked or crowded, and have plenty of room.

Also my tank is heavily planted.

thankyou 

Tanganykans and Malaysians. Interesting combo! Not sure if many aquarists have tried them together before. Do they all tend to hang out low? My caution would be if either species go for breeding, they might get territorial.

If I may ask . . . what happened with your Discus?

Ok I got to ask. I have a 40 breeder where the previous fish had ich. I recently got a spotted Congo puffer. For that tank. Since the previous fish had ich should I still treat the tank for precautionary measures.  And also since the Congo puffer would not have ich would that hurt him. He was 250 bucks so I want to make sure that him and his 3 other panda garas in the tank stay healthy and don’t die.

27 minutes ago, Stephen Zawacki said:

Well I firsted noticed it was about two weeks ago.

Have long has it been since you last saw  spots on your fish because the ich parasites can live up 2weeks in your substrate 

Edited by Colu

42 minutes ago, Stephen Zawacki said:

Since the puffer will not have ich would that hurt the puffer?

Puffers are more sensitive to meds so I would start by treating at half dose and gradually increase the meds and monitor if you notice any sign of de-stress do I water change to remove the meds I would only treat for couple of days just in case they are any ich parasites left in the tank

Edited by Colu

Hi y’all I have a 40 breeder. I had 4 juvenile discus in the tank. Around 2-3weeks ago they got ich. And last week I returned them back to the store they were willing to nurse them back.  So I decided and got a Congo puffer. He or she arrived today. Since the discus that were in there roughly 2-3 weeks ago and had ich. Should I treat the tank even though the puffer does not have ich. Because I don’t want the puffer to get ich, but also don’t want to kill him or her because he or she did not have ich any incite thankyou.

2 or 3 weeks should be safe, especially if you've kept the water at the higher temps that discus enjoy. But if you're really worried, you can keep the puffer in a quarantine tank for 2 weeks to watch for any illness it might have while giving them 40g even more time without fish.

Yeah, ich can supposedly survive up to two weeks without a host, but that hasn't been rigorously tested. So I'd let the tank go empty for at least 2 weeks, more if you're feeling cautious, before adding fish back in.

But higher temps, like 82+ F, will accelerate the life cycle quite a bit and could lessen the time between fish, but again, not many solid answers.