11 hours ago, Stephen Zawacki said:

Hi I have a question I'm going to be getting a breeding pair soon which ones are rarer the blue mosaic leporad which are my faves or are the brilliant blue turcoise rarer. 

In my opinion, if they both show the typical black vertical stripes, they’re not all that drastically different in an aquarium. I’ve probably seen more of the brilliant blue turquoise for sale, but that’s just anecdotal. If you’re going to go through the expensive, hard work of breeding and raising discus, choose a strain that you absolutely love.

Take time to study as much as you can from Gabe at Jack Wattley Discus, and from Discus Hans. If you’re serious about buying a breeding pair, get them from these guys — or someone of similar experience and reputation. What we are doing is letting our group of young discus grow up together and wait to see who pairs off.

B97B3C62-DF27-4ACF-9DD6-92F1CED086ED.jpeg

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stephen Zawacki said:

I think two have a white dot on their tail what does that mean?

Probably nothing. Occasionally my discus get a pimple or cyst that appears as a white dot. But if there is more than 1, it could be a parasite like ich. If it were ich, that would be serious and you would have to treat until resolved.

• Like 1

I recommend keeping an eye on them, making sure they're still eating, making sure the water's pristine and the temp's nice and high (discus are especially sensitive to things like that). I've noticed that weaker fish tend to be a little more vulnerable to body fungus, especially if the water's getting up there in nitrates or there's any stress or crowding. So, it could be a chicken-or-egg scenario of weaker fish getting bullied, feeling stressed, getting sick, dying, or stressed fish getting sick and weak, getting bullied for it and dying.

Not saying that's definitely the case here, and plenty of fish can clear up after the conditions improve, but I'd still keep an eye on them.

• Like 2

Yeah that looks pretty consistent with a very light body fungus / bacterial infection. The slime coat is thinner on the fins, which makes them more vulnerable. And being sheer also helps us detect it sooner than other parts.

I'm not too familiar with discus to tell you if that's a cause for concern yet. If I saw that on a platy's tail, I wouldn't be concerned, though I might test the water just to make sure all was well. But Platies are also super tough and plentiful, so I can afford to be laissez-faire.

• Like 1

Ok the white dot is very small ,and it is the fish from what it appears to get picked on the most. Do you know what the white dots are? I can also try and add more pictures need be.

also it seems that there are two that are very dominant, and two that are not dominant is that bad also ?

Edited by Stephen Zawacki

10 hours ago, Stephen Zawacki said:

also it seems that there are two that are very dominant, and two that are not dominant is that bad also ?

Depending upon size and a few other things, the other two could possibly be a male and female starting to court, pair off, or it could just be that they might be slightly larger than the other two, so they want to be the boss. The biggest thing is to make sure that the two that are less dominant get enough food to eat. If the two bullies don't let them eat, and are constantly harassing them,, it could very well be a contributing factor to the other issue that you are seeing of the white spot on the fin. When a fish is stressed, it is more susceptible to infections and diseases.  

What are your water parameters right NOW.  temp, ph, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, GH/KH? Do you have a hospital tank, or will you need to treat the full 75gallons? Also, are they in the 75 now, didn't you buy that a week ago? Is it fully cycled?

• Like 1

Hi guys I have a question I had to down size tank back to the 40 gallon. I figured out that my discus had ich. I took them back to the store and they took them back. And I got compreciseps a school of 7. Their in the tank that the discus were in. Since the discus were removed is the ich gone or should I put something in the tank since my new fish are in the same water that the discus were in?