Wood filler recommendations?

ange

It would work somewhat as an adhesive but would take much longer to cure and be harder to control and I need to make sure that the significant gaps are filled so that my driftwood doesn't just snap off (some of the contact points have very little surface area so it's not well-supported). Wood filler would be much easier for me to blend in with the rest of the driftwood while filling in my gaps and providing adequate support which is why I'd prefer to use it if it's safe.

This is a photo of the pieces I'm attaching. The bottom two pieces are stuck together with super glue gel but it's an extremely flimsy connection and could easily be broken (source: accidentally broke it once already).

20200902_225954.jpg

I don't know anything about wood fillers, but I would second the motion for silicone. The long working time for silicone could actually prove to be an advantage, as you seek the best way to distribute the adhesive and clamp the pieces together while they cure.

I would also consider Bondo body filler. That stuff cures in minutes, but I don't know how inert it is after curing. It's probably fine for freshwater, but I'm not positive. Bondo is also not an adhesive, but it will give you mass for bonding surfaces with an adhesive after the fact.

Good luck!

I would focus on the clamping technique first. I would really invest time in getting this clamped and positioned just right. This would then inform me where to apply the silicone and how much to use.

You could always pick/peel off the excess.

Edited by Bill Smith

2 hours ago, MickS77 said:

I would try an aquarium epoxy putty. It may provide a more substantive connection than silicone. 

81Ie2BwBgAL._AC_SX679_.jpg

exactly what I was going to recommend. I used this stuff a lot when I had a saltwater reef tank to hold live rock together and to affix corals to the rock. I would use a sandwich of this epoxy with gel superglue surrounding to hold. 

That appears to be a difficult situation to try and make adhesives work, especially long term. IMO I think using a positive connection would be best, I would try to figure out a configuration for screws into the wood and buy some stainless steel fasteners from one of the big box hardware stores. Or try what MattyIce suggested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

That appears to be a difficult situation to try and make adhesives work, especially long term. IMO I think using a positive connection would be best, I would try to figure out a configuration for screws into the wood and buy some stainless steel fasteners from one of the big box hardware stores. Or try what MattyIce suggested.

I was typing the below, when @TheDukeAnumber1 was typing the above. Great minds think alike!

In my garden when I have had to create decorative wood joinery with delicate pieces of wood, I have used stainless steel screws. But along the lines @MattyIce is suggesting, you could also drill holes and then tie everything together with something inconspicous like a small amount of fishing line, or some kind of non-reactive wire.

Edited by Daniel
  • Thanks 1

I really like the epoxy + drill and dowels idea. That would help a lot for the vertical piece. Thank you for all of the suggestions!

I've never used reef epoxy before, does it release any fumes/require gloves? I've worked with resins before for non-aquarium projects before so have run into those a few times.

Every suggestion has something I like about it! 😂 I like this idea a lot because I'm not confident I could drill each piece of hardscape at the correct angle for dowels/screws before using the reef putty.

Does anyone think I could substitute cotton balls and/or poly filling instead of filters and achieve similar results? I have an abundance of those at home and that would save me a trip to the store haha

14 hours ago, ange said:

Every suggestion has something I like about it! 😂 I like this idea a lot because I'm not confident I could drill each piece of hardscape at the correct angle for dowels/screws before using the reef putty.

Does anyone think I could substitute cotton balls and/or poly filling instead of filters and achieve similar results? I have an abundance of those at home and that would save me a trip to the store haha

I do not think cotton balls will work, the filters are tightly compacted into a dowel like shape where the fibers all seems to go in a uniform direction.

you can get a pack of 200 top filter tips for around 5$ at most cigar shops/online.

Edited by MattyIce