What preparations do you take before you leave for a vacation?

Fishdude

If you're not going to be home to feed and maintain your aquarium (or fish room), what do you consider to make sure things will be okay while you're gone? What equipment do you use that makes you feel confident that a week away will not result in a mess (or dead fish) when you get home?

The major thing for me is backup on air supply. I think most fish can get through almost everything else. I’d just do water changes the night before you leave. If your tanks are well established and have some algae they will most likely be fine. If your tanks are new or you have fry/juveniles you might need to find someone to feed them. A nice trick is to use pill boxes for the food so you know the person uses the right amount.

• Like 1

I always do a water change the day I leave, or night before. 

If you're using a auto feeder - practice test it on a bowl before you leave to make sure it works correctly - as well as ensure you have brand new batteries in it ready to go.

If you have someone to come feed - I put the amount of what I want them to feed in a souffle cup for each day. This way, they can't screw it up by over feeding.

Other than that - a light timer if you already don't use one.