How do I know my pleco is well/healthy?

JohnT

I got a second hand fish tank last weekend and it came with two fishes, a pleco of about 4" and a Oscar of about 2". I'm worried because I don't see the pleco moving around during the day and for the past two days he has been on the same corner of the tank! "He" just alternate between the floor and one of the sides of the tank. I've been feeding him but I'm not sure if he's eating the Algae Disks or they are just dissolving. I tried giving a piece of cucumber but it didn't work.

So, my question really is how do I know he's well?

17 minutes ago, Hobbit said:

Depending on the color of your pleco, you may be able to see whether his intestines are full when he’s on the glass.

Here’s a picture of mine—note the brown intestines. 😄

39EE1877-0317-4DAA-B697-72E4D220D46C.jpeg

This is great to know! I have a little baby bristlenose and I can see the food in his tummy when he's up on the glass like that. I wasn't sure if it was a good indication or not. 

• Like 1

What type of pleco is it? You could add some cave for him so he feels more secure try feeding spinach or blanched lettuce and cucumber previous owner might have never feed it vegetables you might have to offer it couple of times before he eats them

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

My pleco seems to eat more at night after lights out.  Her tank mates eat all their flakes and then go after her wafers.  She has learned to chase them off her food and I was noticing just this morning that her little tummy is growing and yes I can see the brownish colored intestines because she is a pale yellow color.  Thank you @Hobbitfor that info because when I first started noticing that I was worried that something  was wrong with her.  
All that being said my pleco hides in the driftwood or her little cave during a lot of the day. 

77D86423-E286-4066-8150-6CB5B0BD8347.jpeg

FF7492A3-F086-4714-8B79-762D044CF59F.jpeg

• Like 2

Wow, thank you so much for all the answers! 

Unfortunately my pleco is on the back of the tank - his belly is facing a wall and it's quite hard to move the tank around.. so I can't see his internals right now 🙂

I'll try to feed him some spinach - how do you sink them?

To the best of my knowledge he's a Plecostomus, and that's all I know 🙂 

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

Unfortunately my pleco is on the back of the tank - his belly is facing a wall and it's quite hard to move the tank around.. so I can't see his internals right now 🙂

You can put a rock on top of the end of the spinach to hold it down. Alternately, stabbing a fork through it, and then submerging it fork and all will make it sink. 

Edited by H.K.Luterman
me talk good
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/24/2021 at 12:58 PM, JohnT said:

It's good to know if the Plecostomus you have is a dwarf or the COMMON Pleco,  quite a few are re-homed because the previous owner finally realizes that they can grow to over a foot long and their tanks will not support them.  Common Pleco's need a huge tank 75-150 gallons,  otherwise they will become stunted in their organs and not thrive.

Have you tried blanched or frozen sliced Zucchini, mine seem to prefer it over cucumber.   

When I first got my bristlenose pleco I didn't see him for like the first month. The I saw him maybe, once a week. He used to never eat any of the algae wafers, and would never come out during feeding. After a good 6 months, he eats with all the other fish, I see him a few times a day, and wont scurry away so fast when he does see me.

I wouldn't be worried. Give him time to settle in, give him LOTS of time. 

and Yes defentley try what @Trish mentioned, FEED THEM VEGGIES. They LOVE those.

• Like 1

A change in behavior is usually the first indicator of a problem.  Having just gotten your pleco, anything is possible.   Give him some place to hide.  My Plecos have always preferred enclosed spaces.  A piece of PVC pipe will work short term.  If he is foraging, he will find it.  

• Like 1