struggling rasbora

Micl Wilde

I got 8 harlequin rasboras about a month ago and 7 of them look totally normal.  One of them, Homie, is still about the same size as it was a month ago.  It doesn't school, doesn't play, has shown no enthusiasm what so ever, eats just a little with no enthusiasm.  To me, looks like a giant fry - its body hasn't filled out to be rasbora shaped, it's very thin.  Its still so small it can't eat what the others eat, like blood worms.  It can manage a few bites of crushed flakes. 

Homie is not picked on or shunned by the others, just doesn't group with them - as if it doesn't know it's supposed to.  

I couldn't get any decent pics, but Homie is half the size it should be.  Do I give up on this fish or just leave it be and see if it lives?  I haven't done any breeding so I'm new to this problem of having a young fish that just fails to thrive, but I got them very young, so I'm assuming this is just some birth defect.  All other fish are A-okay.  I don't know how long to give it to see if it's going to catch up or if it's only going to get worse for Homie.  Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.  It's color, scales, fins, etc are all normal, just under developed.   

Hard to say without some photos. If it's rail-thin, it may have parasites. In which case, you'd best treat all of them if you got them together. If it's just genetics, that's different. The fact that it's not eating is concerning. Sickness can show up in weak fish whereas stronger fish will show it more slowly. 

Thanks, that's a good point to make: illness can show up in weak fish faster than strong ones.

Homie did get rail thin and then he 'went to live in a pond on a farm in the country'  RIP Homie

So now I'm looking at the rest of my fish and listening to what is being said about parasites.  Left in the tank:  5 young and one old albino cory cats, 7 young adult rasboras, and an adult golden mystery snail.  So now I'm gonna educate myself on parasites.  Sometimes as a fish keeper, I have to study things I didn't really want to study - some days are like that. 

Thanks for your input Fish Folk and Mmiller2001.  

22 hours ago, Micl Wilde said:

Thanks, that's a good point to make: illness can show up in weak fish faster than strong ones.

Homie did get rail thin and then he 'went to live in a pond on a farm in the country'  RIP Homie

So now I'm looking at the rest of my fish and listening to what is being said about parasites.  Left in the tank:  5 young and one old albino cory cats, 7 young adult rasboras, and an adult golden mystery snail.  So now I'm gonna educate myself on parasites.  Sometimes as a fish keeper, I have to study things I didn't really want to study - some days are like that. 

Thanks for your input Fish Folk and Mmiller2001.  

Does the pond have fish in it?