One gourami is chasing the other -- who needs to be relocated?

mgudyka

I have had my two gourami for a couple days and in the first couple, they were coexisting without incident but this appears to have changed. I have noticed has started chasing the other around the tank. I guess they are both males? I have been observing the. This evening and the chasee appears to be hanging low and hiding between decor. I can imagine this is very stressful on a fish, especially a laborinth fish who needs access to the top to breathe. 

In the meantime I am working on getting a little more driftwood in this tank to hopefully give a little more cover, but should one be relocated to another tank? 

20210323_192842.jpg

If they're two males, you'll probably end up with one stressed all the time. Now, if it's a male chasing a female, they may eventually figure things out. Our Dwarf Gourami pair started out with the male chasing the female like crazy, but now they're very happy together. What kind are they? The photo looks . . . like maybe . . . a Chocolate Gourami?? Hard to tell. Here's ours...

Edited by Fish Folk

Likely establishing dominance. Males tend not to like eachother and prefer having a harem of females or a bonded female. The one pictured appears to be a male. If you can grab profile pics of both of them we can more accurately I.D. Or just take a quick peak. Pointed dorsal rays=male rounded=female

When I had golds I had one male and 4 females. Interestingly dominant females release hormones in the water to stunt the growth of lesser females thus making it more likely the male breeds with them

Edited by Biotope Biologist

3 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

If they're two males, you'll probably end up with one stressed all the time. Now, if it's a male chasing a female, they may eventually figure things out. Our Dwarf Gourami pair started out with the male chasing the female like crazy, but now they're very happy together. What kind are they? The photo looks . . . like maybe . . . a Chocolate Gourami?? Hard to tell. Here's ours...

They were labeled as "sunset gourami" and another person online said they are actually just thick lipped gourami. I *think* they are both males because they both have pointer dorsal fins but I can't tell for sure. Great video btw

• Like 1

@mgudyka I would suggest removing the aggressor, because if you leave him in he might start picking on the other fish in the aquarium. Keep the current victim in and see how he does.

8 minutes ago, mgudyka said:

They were labeled as "sunset gourami" and another person online said they are actually just thick lipped gourami. I *think* they are both males because they both have pointer dorsal fins but I can't tell for sure. Great video btw

@Fish Folk Yes it looks like a thick-lipped gourami (Colisa labiosa), which is a close relative of the dwarf gourami (Colisa lalia), but is commonly labeled as "Sunset Honey Gourami", hence the confusion with the true honey gourami (Colisa chuna).

Edited by CorydorasEthan
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Biotope Biologist said:

Likely establishing dominance. Males tend not to like eachother and prefer having a harem of females or a bonded female. The one pictured appears to be a male. If you can grab profile pics of both of them we can more accurately I.D. Or just take a quick peak. Pointed dorsal rays=male rounded=female

When I had golds I had one male and 4 females. Interestingly dominant females release hormones in the water to stunt the growth of lesser females thus making it more likely the male breeds with them

Here is an image of the other one. This gourami is incredibly hard to take a photo of because he never stops moving. Pretty sure both boys. If this is an assertion of dominance, will that eventually settle down? I noticed that the one being chased appears to be a little chunkier and I Wonder if he's getting bloated from stress? I don't know if I just noticed it or if it just happened though. 

20210323_202733.jpg

6 minutes ago, Biotope Biologist said:

Hence why common names are so frustrating!

Both are males and both are thick-lipped. I would remove the aggressor as stated above and grab the other male a female to try to bond with. Hopefully your LFS is nice enough to let you return. Compatibility issues are always a pain

Thank you @Biotope Biologist and @CorydorasEthan. The aggressor will be relocated.  My second tank is not quite cycled yet though so he may have to wait a couple days. Dang fish

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FishyJames said:

I had 2 powder blue males and had to relocate the smaller one that was getting beat up.  They were in a very heavily planted 29 gallon.  The beat up small one went into my 55 gallon and loved life.

That is sort of my situation. I don't know if you would consider my tank heavily planted but I have many plants and have been on the fence buying a 60 gallon tank for a rope fish. Maybe he will get transferred to that.

5 minutes ago, mgudyka said:

That is sort of my situation. I don't know if you would consider my tank heavily planted but I have many plants and have been on the fence buying a 60 gallon tank for a rope fish. Maybe he will get transferred to that.

I am so happy Bichirs are starting to get more love, they have lots of personality and truly look like dinosaurs... Not to detract from your unfortunate situation