Power Outage

SarayParay

My power went out since 10am today. I have 3 tanks. One 20 gallon and two 10 gallons. I had to leave to work and I’m sad that I’ll come home to dead fish. I am so upset. Power is still out and an estimate is for 8pm. 

I'm very heartbroken. 😞 

Suggestions or tips on when I get home. I’ll be home around 6-6:30pm. 😞 

What exactly do you have going on in your tanks?  I'd be more optimistic unless you're keeping fish that have special needs.

My guess is that everything's fine when you get home.  For the future you can put a lid on your tanks and wrap a blanket around them to keep them warm for a bit longer.  Since we had those huge Texas blackouts there's a lot of talk in those threads about preventative measures too. 

Edit: I just realized that in some places it can get cold fast without heat.  In any case keep us updated on how things go!

Edited by CT_
  • Like 1

I have Zebra Danios, Panda Corys, Bettas, Hillstream Loach, Otocinclus, Cherry Barbs, Espi Raspbora (sp) and Amano shrimp. 

I am in Southern California. It’s not that cold but I’ve never had an outage so not sure how cold the water can get. 

I wish I could leave work but can’t. Ugh. I’m just really hoping I don’t lose any fish. They’re all so dear to me.

During the Snowmageddon in Texas I had zero power for almost 9 days with only 2hrs of power between the 9 days total. Didn't lose a single fish even with water temp dropping from 78-66F (Thermal Blankets). However my aquariums are moderately planted so I'm sure that helped. I would gather that your fine. 

• Like 1

Just got home. Power still out. Just getting a cup and pouring it down tank water on each tank to create some oxygen. 

I put candles around one because it went from 78 to 75/74. 

Thank you for all your replies! I’m hoping power comes on soon.

787C2F1A-2BEE-46B1-8DA6-6D2CF040E186.jpeg

576BCDEF-5DFE-4E9B-8FB3-3AB98D0872A1.jpeg

2D0DBA97-0AD6-48A7-8944-F194D75CBEDA.jpeg

• Like 2

Glad to hear that your fish are okay!

The biggest thing to keep in mind when power goes out (especially in areas where heaters are not too big of an issue) is keeping the beneficial bacteria alive and oxygenating the tank. Thankfully, it looks like you've already got both under control.

Anyway, nice tanks, and good luck with your fish!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CorydorasEthan said:

Glad to hear that your fish are okay!

The biggest thing to keep in mind when power goes out (especially in areas where heaters are not too big of an issue) is keeping the beneficial bacteria alive and oxygenating the tank. Thankfully, it looks like you've already got both under control.

Anyway, nice tanks, and good luck with your fish!

Yes, I am making sure that I top off the HOB filters before pouring water over the tank water.

Thank you very much!

• Like 1