Luis

Just went to a well hidden local pond that has (no fish as it dries up in the summer) to collect some live food to see if I could culture some daphnia. 

I managed to get tons of daphnia with a couple scoops with the net, however I’ve also caught a bunch of other stuff like some small black worms, mosquito larvae, and other stuff which I don’t have a clue they are. 

I wasn’t planning on introducing this freshly caught live food to my fish until like 2 weeks in.

Should i be scared of what I introduce? Or do all those critters pretty much have the same effect? 

I can’t really find valuable info anywhere so if anyone knows a good clear chart of common critters found in ponds in the UK, any previous experiences and any helpful links would be highly appreciated.

thank you!!

I usually like to cultivate these live foods for a month, just to make absolutely sure that the population is healthy. You likely won't have anything to worry about as parasites tend to be specific to a small group of fish and invertebrates only local to your own locale. My main concern when I pull a net up from a pond is some hitch hiker that loves to prey on fish coming along for the ride.

If you're anal retentive and have high value fish a small inline UV filter for the live food tank will zap any unwanted protozoa and bacteria. Just make sure to have micron mesh blocking the inflow, because UV filters will also kill macro invertebrates given sufficient exposure.

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Haha 1

I collect some live foods in local vernal pools in North Carolina, USA. I get:

• bloodworms
  • mosquito larva
  • daphnia
  • fairy shrimp (return these to pool)
  • isopods
  • seed shrimp
  • beetle larva
  • amphipods
  • tadpoles - (I return these and salamander larva back to the pool)
  • dragonfly larva
  • damselfly larva
  • glassworms
  • various ostracods
  • etc

Here is a photo of one of the glassworms in a recent batch

image.png.b62f9a6ae46918b0dc1d00377918d2

I must be anal un-retentive because I always feed my fish everything right away when all the live food is at its peak health. I have had dragonfly larva eat some fry, but the dragonfly larva were cooler than the fry they ate so it was a net plus.

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Luis said:

I can’t really find valuable info anywhere so if anyone knows a good clear chart of common critters found in ponds in the UK, any previous experiences and any helpful links would be highly appreciated.

I did a little research and discovered that in the UK what I call 'vernal pools' in American English are called 'temporary ponds' in British English:

This publication had this chart:

image.png.093b68eec099f2783f5749bd64d368b2.png

Which will at least give the common names of little critters to begin to look up what you might have collected. Also feel free to post photos of what you have. I know I would be interested in seeing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The only reactions I have had to feeding the live foods I have collected are sudden increases growth rates and an marked increase in the willingness of my fish to breed.🙂

ORD 😄

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I must be anal un-retentive because I always feed my fish everything right away when all the live food is at its peak health. I have had dragonfly larva eat some fry, but the dragonfly larva were cooler than the fry they ate so it was a net plus.

ORD 😄

Here are some pictures of what I caught with a couple swishes with my net in under 2 mins.

Do you all reckon it should be safe? 

If so, I’m not the anal retentive type of guy however I do want the best for my fish. 

Does anyone have a process I should follow or is it really most likely safe and just feeding it with a baster? 

thanks for the replies once again! 
hopefully this gives more clarity to others in the hobby too 

18CDAE4B-0371-4661-BD81-62A7A7F8AE7A.jpeg

3A0AA091-CB19-4244-92F1-FC4701ADCAE1.jpeg

8D2A9FF4-5F95-4031-B6C5-B5BFD5BCC091.jpeg

33B00D0E-67F3-4FB2-BADB-00A9082A5CCC.jpeg

C367FC62-2470-4C76-B44B-0F652F5249FC.jpeg

887A5FA9-FD66-49A1-A70C-841614D6AEC9.jpeg

1 minute ago, Luis said:

Here are some pictures of what I caught with a couple swishes with my net in under 2 mins.

Do you all reckon it should be safe? 

If so, I’m not the anal retentive type of guy however I do want the best for my fish. 

Does anyone have a process I should follow or is it really most likely safe and just feeding it with a baster? 

thanks for the replies once again! 
hopefully this gives more clarity to others in the hobby too 

18CDAE4B-0371-4661-BD81-62A7A7F8AE7A.jpeg

3A0AA091-CB19-4244-92F1-FC4701ADCAE1.jpeg

8D2A9FF4-5F95-4031-B6C5-B5BFD5BCC091.jpeg

33B00D0E-67F3-4FB2-BADB-00A9082A5CCC.jpeg

C367FC62-2470-4C76-B44B-0F652F5249FC.jpeg

887A5FA9-FD66-49A1-A70C-841614D6AEC9.jpeg

Also this would be used in my case to feed a 55gallon mostly adult barb tank, with a 3.5 inch RTS and krib. 

The one that worries me is the fourth image, the black elongated one. 

thanks! 

Mark Cauvain from the YouTube channel "Mark's Aquatics" Has done a few shows on collecting wild food from puddles in Great Britain. He's got a pretty good channel. He recently dropped a rock through the base of his palaudarium (sp?) and is regrouping from that. 

Looks good to me! It is striking to me how many similar species we have all the way over here in Washington State. The one you are concerned about looks like an aquatic isopod of some sort, but I lack the confidence to properly I.D it.

I see a caddisfly larvae halfway through building its home, stone fly larvae, cyclops, daphnea

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 8:39 PM, Daniel said:

I did a little research and discovered that in the UK what I call 'vernal pools' in American English are called 'temporary ponds' in British English:

This publication had this chart:

image.png.093b68eec099f2783f5749bd64d368b2.png

Which will at least give the common names of little critters to begin to look up what you might have collected. Also feel free to post photos of what you have. I know I would be interested in seeing it.

I’ve posted some pictures for you to see when you can. Let me know what you think 🙂