LuLu

Hi from Dana Point, CA.  I have two goldfish. - 18 years old.   They are quite the family members.  I came across this site while researching diseases.  Over the last couple of weeks, I have been dealing with as well as treating a sick goldfish.  The disease literally came on so fast.  Within a few hours - it appeared his mouth was rotting away.   I had the medication on hand and treated him with two rounds of  Kanaplex and Furan 2.  The treatment seemed to work, his mouth healed.  However, yesterday morning he was staying at the bottom of the tank.  And, it looked like he was developing a fungus again on his mouth.  I started him on Erythromycin and just gave him his second dose this morning. I am happy to say that he is doing better. I plan to treat him with Ich X when it arrives.  I hope that I am doing the right treatment.  He is in a 55 gallon tank.  I checked the water parameters before I treated  him -which all checked out.   I feel defeated.  Thank you for this site and the wonderful information provided.  LuLu

IMG_1344.jpg

• Sad 1

That appears to be a bacterial infection to me. Ich-X won't do anything in this case since that is a specific remedy for a specific protozoan. I would suggest keeping up with your general bacteria sweep. 

You also must treat him with these medications for at least 14 days. Often can take up to 21 days. Just like a human even when the infection goes away you should treat for the duration of the quarantine or whatever is recommended on the medicine. 

If you have the resources you can also have the bacteria infection cultured for identification, so that you can target it more specifically. But this is not recommended for everyone and often requires proper handling to grab tissue samples without stressing the fish.

Thank you for your response.  I will continue to treat him with the Erythromycin.  As I referenced before, I treated him with 2 rounds with Kanaplex and Furan 2, I thought that I had success in treatment,  It's frustrating because Erythromycin is a gram pos. med and Kanaplex is gram neg.  Additionally, I read an article on this site that recommends using Erythromycin and ICH X because the latter will treat additional diseases as well as Ich.  I hate to overload him but do you think a combination of the API General Care along with the Erythromycin would be effective? I so appreciate any info or advise you can give.  

Right it is easier to treat with both gram (+and -). Often times it is easier to just throw the kitchen sink of antibiotics at it until it dies. My veterinarian did this for me when my bearded dragon had a staph infection in his eye- He was rescued from a negligent home.

Ich-X and API general cure are more or less for parasites and tend not to have any effect on bacterial infections. If you have followed the required dosage for Kanaplex and Furan-2 you do not have to keep administering it. I would just keep up with Erythromycin and water changes. I wish I still had my handy fish medication chart I downloaded from one of the UC schools. It was good at identifying whether the medication was effective or not in certain pH, kH, and gH ranges. As water parameters do have an effect on the medications

Yes, You are right on.  Our PH is rather on the higher side, and fortunately goldfish are not as affected by that.  That chart would be right up my alley.... Thank you for your wise advise! It is very refreshing. LuLu

Let me see if I can't find the guide saved on my college hard drive. It has been years since I referenced it. I will edit this post with a pdf link if I am able to.

Wish you luck!

fish medications pages_00006.png

fish medications pages_00007.png

Sorry for the fuzzy images. Being unable to use PDF's on this site distorted the original file. Credit to Carl Strohnmeyer as this information is not my own.

Edited by Biotope Biologist
Found them!
  • Like 1

I also think it's appropriate to give you sincere kudos for the 18 years plus of loving care you provided for the fish. That is dedication, and true love for a pet who is a member of the family. Here's to many more years. You and the fish both lucky and fortunate to have each other!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...