27 minutes ago, Larry P. said:

Setting up 75g for african cichlids.  How much weight can the tank actually take?  Only supported on the 4 corners.  Also, how long should rock be boiled for?

Thanks for any advice.

Regards, Larry

Don't boil the rock. If it cracks open, due to uneven expansion, boiling water will splash everywhere.

Edited by Frank
  • Like 1

It depends on The structural design of the tank. Is it rimmed? you would probably be fine adding the average amount of rocks for a African cichlid tank. Just be aware that the more weight you put on the bottom of the aquarium the more stress it is under. so if you have a minor crack it could easily turn into something much larger. My suggestion to you would be to build or find something that could support all edges and/or the bottom glass panel. I would then put a yoga mat or something similar under the aquarium to prevent extra stress. 

Water is probably going to be the heaviest part of the tank, so I would also recommend supporting the bottom. The tank should be able to support the weight but make sure your stand and support the weight as well. I would just clean the rock with water not boil it. As long as it is supported well I don't think there is a hard limit to how much rock to add.

If you're artistic make styrofoam rocks. Fish aren't smart enough to tell the difference. There are also tons of brands out there now that do the same for unartistic people such as myself. Your fish tank stand is the structure here not the tank.

Also keep in mind water displacement the more rock you add the less water you have