Algae Bloom, and some kind of worms. Any Solutions?

Dwayne Brown

I have a 29 Gallon Aquarium, with 8 pristella tetras, 1 pleco, 1 peacock goby, and 5 full grown endlers. I also had an apisto borelli which unfortunately died last week. Not sure exactly why but assuming starvation cause it wouldn't eat and was pooping long white strands. I also had 1 other endler which died. 

My aquarium has had an algae bloom for about 2 weeks now, and when I say algae bloom I mean water that is a greenish color. It eventually got so bad that I couldn't even see the fish in the aquarium. so about 3 days ago I started running a UV light filter which has been clearing up the water considerably. My question is, any solutions on how to prevent algae blooms in the future? I also think that I might be overfeeding, any ways to tell? 

My last question is about 2 small whitish brown worms I saw floating around in the middle water column? I looked around the aquarium and couldnt see any more. Is seeing worms in an aqaurium a good or bad thing? should I do anything to try to remove them? Later today I am going to do a deep cleaning of the aquarium ( Gravel cleaning, water change) and I also plan on adding aquarium salt to the tank. Any other Potential Solutions?

What's your lighting schedule like, and is your tank near a window? 

Worms in your tank are generally nothing to be concerned about, they just pop up to help eat extra food and waste. If they were thread-like and squiggling through the water, they're just detritus worms. On the glass they move with an "inching" motion. If you can get a picture of them, that would help us identify them for sure.

• Like 1

Hi!

I'm not an algae pro, but what's your lighting like?  For me algae seems to be very closely linked with my lighting.

If you had a fish that died and was pooping long stringy white poop, I'd suggest running your whole tank through a couple rounds of Paracleanse/General Cure dewormer.  Livebearers like your endlers are particularly known for being susceptible to internal parasites and fish are pretty good at spreading them around.  You could also consider adding a round of levamisole either before or after the other dewormers as that kills different types of worms (round ones).  

The endlers didnt have stringy poop only the apisto. I am assuming there was just something wrong with the Group I got them from cause i kept them in my main aquarium for around 1 week before they died. its been 2 weeks now and the other enders are doing fine.  

I also believe that the apisto died of starvation. I was feeding him hikari micro pellets and he would spit them out and was very slow to eat. However, when I fed frozen brine shrimp he would quickly wolf them down and eat as many as he could. unfortunately I ran out of brine shrimp I had to feed him only the micro bites. that's when I noticed he started eating less and started getting stringy poo and then a few weeks later he died. but so far no other fish are sick and its been a couple of weeks now...