Fishdude

I'm tentatively planning to set up a linear piston pump and loop for air lines in my upcoming fish room. I had a couple questions about the products themselves (and some of them may be silly but I'd rather ask than have problems later):

1. Is there a major difference between the 45B and 45C models of the linear piston air pump by MEDO? Aquarium Co-op carries the 45B model and on Amazon I see only the 45C model. 

2. The metals valves are listed as one-way - does this mean they effectively replace traditional check valves in the airline or do I still need to include a check valve for every aquarium line? The last thing I need is a power outage and a mess!

3. Is there a minimum number of lines that should be run off this system to make it worth using? I'll be starting with around 10-11 tanks but planning to expand to a second rack. I'd like the build this when I set up the fish room though so that it's available when I need it.

Thanks fellow fishkeepers!

1.  Not sure.

2.  Not sure which valves.  My metal valve are not.

3.  Get it now!  I waited and after I purchased this pump a spent a week kicking my self in the tail for waiting.

Edit: #2 addendum.  mount pump on shelf above tanks and not worry about it.

Edited by KBOzzie59

1. Not sure, I have the aquarium coop one and works great.

2. The standard metal valves are not check valves. If the air supply is above the tanks then you don't need check valves. If it's below then you would need them.

3. If you're starting with 10 tanks then just create a bleed off valve to bleed off some air so the pump isn't struggling. As you add more tanks you can start closing it more and more.

38 minutes ago, Stash Beardsley said:

1. Not sure, I have the aquarium coop one and works great.

2. The standard metal valves are not check valves. If the air supply is above the tanks then you don't need check valves. If it's below then you would need them.

3. If you're starting with 10 tanks then just create a bleed off valve to bleed off some air so the pump isn't struggling. As you add more tanks you can start closing it more and more.

Okay so you mean like a larger open valve at the end that I could adjust so the pump isn't overworked for only a handful of lines? I assume the actual pump output isn't adjustable?

Correct, you'd be looking for the valve in the picture. Just get a T connector and put it somewhere in the air loop. Hook up the valve on the bottom of the T connector and you can bleed off a portion of the air. I also added a section of pvc on the bottom of the valve that I stuffed polyfil into not too tight and not too loose to quiet it down.

image.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Stash Beardsley said:

20210206_121239.jpg.17fd0f84ab258d1c2fa25b83e5b2852e.jpg

This is super helpful, thank you! What's the length of PVC you can run without limiting the air pressure? Like this looks like it runs through a whole basement but at some point I would think that distance from tanks would become an issue, yes?