I'm looking at setting up my next 10 gallon aquarium using possibly fluorite but I've heard a lot of mixed reviews/opinions on how to initially deal with it (rinsing and what-not). What's the best way I should add it to my aquarium when setting it up without causing a disaster? 

In the tanks I have used it in I haven't done a thing to it.  Place it where I want it, SLOWLY fill to about 10"-12" of water, plant my plants and fill the rest of the way a few days later.  Granted these were all much taller than a 10 gallon so I would fill to a depth of your tallest plant, let them get settled a few days then fill the rest of the way and start your cycle process.  My Val and Sword plants are growing likes weeds using this method. 

Edit:  This is not recommended with the Sand Flourite.

Edited by DSH OUTDOORS
  • Like 1

Yeah...flourite is kind of a bear to set up with (in my experience).  VERY dusty.  Rinse like your life depends on it and then add your water to your aquarium very gently!  I'm still dealing with dust leftovers from when I didn't rinse my flourite...it's a mess!  Be ready!!

That being said, it was a joy to plant into - it's got some heft, unlike fluval stratum, so the roots will actually hold the plant into the substrate!!  Now that I'm on the other side of my dust storm, I'm slowly becoming more of a fan! 😂

• Like 1