Nitrate reducer pad

Robyn

Nope, but I'm going to test some.  This is merely a Band-Aid.  You know what else is good at removing nitrates?  Water changes, fish really enjoy a good old fashioned water change, it's like a day at the spa for them.

I do see how this might be useful for when you want to get away for a couple days but I'd not use it for a daily fix.

• Like 2

When I tested last night, it looked to be 80 ppm nitrates. That was after three significant water changes over the past month. A few weeks ago, I also "hotrodded" my HOB filter with many of the products from the Coop, as well as adding a bag of Purigen to the filter. I also added a new Coop sponge filter to one corner. The nitrates went down somewhat from when I tested them a month ago, but I was hoping they would have significantly dropped. I will admit that up until recently, I was woefully behind in techniques and technology, and I had been neglecting regular water changes, but I'm trying to catch up now. At this point, the water is crystal clear, and the fish seem healthy and active, but the nitrates are still high.

Just now, Robyn said:

When I tested last night, it looked to be 80 ppm nitrates. That was after three significant water changes over the past month. A few weeks ago, I also "hotrodded" my HOB filter with many of the products from the Coop, as well as adding a bag of Purigen to the filter. I also added a new Coop sponge filter to one corner. The nitrates went down somewhat from when I tested them a month ago, but I was hoping they would have significantly dropped. I will admit that up until recently, I was woefully behind in techniques and technology, and I had been neglecting regular water changes, but I'm trying to catch up now. At this point, the water is crystal clear, and the fish seem healthy and active, but the nitrates are still high.

If the fish are healthy then you are in a good place. If it were me, before trying pads, I would add plants. Plants are nitrate sponges that turn nitrates in to more plants.

• Like 3