Jeffrey's mouth is deteriorating :(

Erlina

My Jeffrey’s lips are deteriorating. I first got him from a carnival and he’s about 9 years old and 4 inches long. It first started with cotton mouth looking lips. I tried aquarium salt, pimafix, and hydrogen peroxide dabbed on the lips with a Q-tip, but nothing worked. It ended up getting worse. I just recently got a multiple water testing kit, which covers general hardness, nitrite, nitrate, free chlorine, carbonate, and ph. I’m waiting for my API® E.M. Erythromycin to arrive, so I can see if that’ll help. Does anyone know what I can do help him? I’m not sure I’m ready to let him go yet. His friend is starting to get it too, but hers is not as intense as his. spacer.png

10 minutes ago, Cory said:

What are your current water parameters. lets start there. including temp.

Have you add anything new to the tank such as new fish plants that could have bought disease in and what was the dose of hydrogen peroxide you used

I’ve added an Anubis plant recently. However, this was added after their lips had started to deteriorate. I don’t put too much Hydrogens peroxide, I just dip a Q-Tip into a cap of it and try my best to apply onto his lips and repeat a few times when the water level is lower (during water change). 

I’ve never used erythromycin before, so I just wanted to ask. A lot of people say to quarantine the fish when using it, but I have another fish in the tank with him who is also starting to show some deterioration. Can I keep them both in the same tank and use the erythromycin? 

I agree with quikv6, looks like you have a potential ph crash u have no buffering capacity left and your ph is as low as your strip tests for. Also what kind of decorations do you have in the tank? Goldfish forage and I have seen them cut themselves on seemingly unsharp things from rubbing against it trying to get that morsel of food. I would do a water change and maybe add some salt and see if things improve on his mouth 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I’ll try to get some crushed coral. Hopefully, that’ll help. Would it be okay to use it as substrate instead of being in a media bag? 

Also, I only have smooth glass rocks and a ringed Anubis plant as decoration.

By salt do you mean aquarium salt? If so, I do use that. 

Do you think the tank size might be a factor? I have a 10g with two gold fish, both of which are about about 3-5 inches long. 

Edited by Erlina

It's possible he has been swimming into the sides of the tank and development a bacterial infection I would treat with kanaplex and suggest getting a bigger tank for your gold fish 10gallon is on the small side  for them 

Edited by Colu