Easy iron staining water?

I haven't ever had a problem keeping water clear. About two or three weeks ago I started dosing easy iron (less than the bottle says I should because I only have a few red plants) and now my water is yellow/gold. Just wondering if it could be the easy iron and how to remove it if it is. Also it looks like it could be tannins but I'm positive it isn't based on this tank is over three months old and the standing came after using easy iron

20210322_125531.jpg

Edited by Khinds
Spelling

I have water that's very high in iron and it stains lots of stuff orange/red, but it doesn't stain the water. The plastic bottles I use to hold spare tank water all get an orange-ish/reddish coloration over time. It looks like you have driftwood in the tank, it's possible your pH has dropped a bit and the more acidic water is leaching more tannins from the driftwood. Driftwood breaks down over time in an aquarium also and it's possible a section has deteriorated and released a pocket of more tannin rich material. Those would be my best guesses.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gardenman said:

I have water that's very high in iron and it stains lots of stuff orange/red, but it doesn't stain the water. The plastic bottles I use to hold spare tank water all get an orange-ish/reddish coloration over time. It looks like you have driftwood in the tank, it's possible your pH has dropped a bit and the more acidic water is leaching more tannins from the driftwood. Driftwood breaks down over time in an aquarium also and it's possible a section has deteriorated and released a pocket of more tannin rich material. Those would be my best guesses.

I added a bag of Purigen last night so I'll see if that clears it up a bit I just figured it was the easy iron because it happened when I started dosing the tank with it. I'll see what happens in the next couple days and see if it clears or not. 

It could be iron but if you are dosing less than recommended  I'm not sure if it is the culprit.  Only one of my tanks gets like yours by the end of week but I'm dosing a pretty large amount of iron everyday and I'm using different forms of iron. But I have another tank that only uses easy iron at 1-2 doses a day without water changes and It doesn't stain my water. The staining of your water could also indicate that you might not need to dose iron yet, but thats just a wild guess from me.

Did you dirt your tank?

Also when you are dosing iron are you adding any other fertilizers at the same time?

Edited by Koi
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Koi said:

It could be iron but if you are dosing less than recommended  I'm not sure if it is the culprit.  Only one of my tanks gets like yours by the end of week but I'm dosing a pretty large amount of iron everyday and I'm using different forms of iron. But I have another tank that only uses easy iron at 1-2 doses a day without water changes and It doesn't stain my water. The staining of your water could also indicate that you might not need to dose iron yet, but thats just a wild guess from me.

Did you dirt your tank?

Also when you are dosing iron are you adding any other fertilizers at the same time?

Tank is dirted but under a pretty good sand cap. I also dose easy iron but again less than recommended as I'm kinda seeing how it goes in this tank.

EDIT I dose Easy Green and Easy Iron 

Edited by Khinds
I'm a dummy and put easy iron

It looks like you have a decent sized cap but I think its still worth trying to feel around the sand for soft spots. Especially in areas that you planted where sand could have been displaced making your cap layer thinner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koi said:

It looks like you have a decent sized cap but I think its still worth trying to feel around the sand for soft spots. Especially in areas that you planted where sand could have been displaced making your cap layer thinner.

Will do, I have been adding some plants recently so that could be the issue as well.