Ventless Propane Heater in Fish Room

Stash Beardsley

Update, it was a low oxygen issue. To fix I installed a 4" dryer exhaust cap. Used a 6" blower pulling air into the room. Have it on a timer to blow outside air into the room every 2 hours for a half hour. Also have a smoke alarm, explosive gas alarm, and a carbon monoxide alarm that shows the levels of carbon monoxide. I feel completely safe with it. No issues since I did the venting.

0 on the co2 and 15 feet ish. Not too close to prevent false alarms and not too far. Now that I have that new alarm I now have 1 in the room and 1 outside of the room and 1 by my water heater/forced air furnace also 1 in the hallway outside the bedrooms. I feel fine sleeping at night. Not to mention 3 smoke alarms in the basement and 6 upstairs.

I realize that you already have a system installed, it's up and running, and you are likely happy with it.  However, for anyone reading this who might be interested in alternative options, I offer this. 

In an approximately 150sqft, uninsulated portion of my basement, where one wall is above grade, I use a 5,000BTU portable electric heater and a fan to circulate the warm air.  I recognize there is quite a bit more operation cost here than for a gas heater, but I have it in a GFI outlet and suspect this, overall, has fewer hazards associated with it than a burner of any sort. 

This is simply a suggestion of a potential alternate option for a similar situation, and in no way a condemnation of the techniques used by those more confident in their installation abilities than I.  

• 8 months later...

Just thought I would update this post with what I have done since creating it and having my questions answered. I received a lot of help and feedback. Turns out my original ventless heater had an issue. Thought I had dialed it in and fixed the issue with the flame going out because I added a vent to the room to give it more oxygen. I just thought that the room was too tight and there wasn't enough oxygen for the flame. Also added a fan to the vent and put it on a timer where it would push outside air into the room every hour for a few minutes. But as time went on there was three times where my combustible gas alarm went off and I smelled propane when checking the room and the flame was out. I kept adjusting the thermostat and vent fan pushing air in. The last time it happened I was just sick of it and turned the heater off. Ended up ordering a 30,000 BTU ventless propane radiant heater with built in fan this time. Have been using it since and its been working perfectly. The vent fan with outside air has been off so it's just static for now. I will attempt to use it in the summer to push hot air into my basement fishroom depending on the temps. inside vs. outside. Overall the ventless heater experience has been great with a correctly working unit. Prior to that I almost gave up and switched to a different method. But I know of other Fishtubers that have been using these ventless units. I messaged Michaels Fishroom directly and he told me that he's never had an issue. That was enough for me to take the loss on my original unit and order another one. I'm glad I did, been great so far.

20211226_081404.jpg

20211226_081417.jpg

20211226_081536.jpg

• Like 1